Need a bit of photo editing advice...

Edit My Images
No
As the title says, I need a bit of advice in editing my photos. Right now, I'm working on a close-up shot of some flowers. I'd like to know, what would be the best way to lighten up the photo? I took it just a short while after a storm, so it was still pretty dark outside. Also, one of my friends pointed out that the background is a little noisy. What might be a way of softening that up? Thanks in advance :D

There are a number of noise reduction software plugins available and also a nuber of ways to lighten an image. What software do you use?

I use Photoshop CS2.

Then try a levels or curves adjustment layer to lighten the image, that way you have total control over what bits are lightened.

Ok, thanks. And where could I find the noise reduction plugins?

try noise ninja or search google for noise reduction plugin for Photoshop.

CS2 has a basic noise reduction filter: Filter->Noise->Reduce Noise

Yeah, I tried the filter, it didn't really work. I'll search for the plugins. Thanks :D

Do you know how to create a layer? If so edit the image how you want (with regards to lightening and composition) then right click and copy, then paste as a new layer. Then go to 'Noise' in adjustments and try using edge preserving smooth at a low level, perhaps 1. or try Gaussian blur at level 1 or 2. Then use your eraser tool to erase the flower, which will bring the lower flower through, which shouldn't have been effected by the noise reduction action. Before you save, be sure to merge all layers.

I hope that helps. I use Paintshop pro Photo x2 so the instruction might vary a little in PS, but shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. :)

There are other methods to reduce noise. Is it appearing in one channel in particular (usually blue)?

In the photo I took, the noise is mainly on the green grass and trees in the background.

Back