need a new power connector on my laptop

whitewash

Fishy Fingers
Edit My Images
Yes
the power input jack on my laptop is broken and needs replacing but im struggling to find the exact one that i need

it looks like this
laptopplug.JPG

can anyone help me by pointing me in the direction of one?

cheers

jamie

You could probably pick up a socket that will do from Maplins, best bet is to take the old one out first (assuming you are able?) and take it with you as a sample.

i should be able to do the soldering that isnt a problem, ill have to either borrow a soldering iron from work, get one of the sparkys to do it for me or find my own soldering iron at my parents.

the laptop is currently in use, but im getting a replacement soon which will then allow me to pull this one apart.

ive found a couple of companies selling them on the net but they want about £15 for a connector i bet would be available from maplin or RS for less than £2 so your idea is probably the best one to take it out and take it in. i guess worse case would be that id have to replace the plug on the powersupply as well.

some companies on the net want £100 to repair it :eek:

You'll need to open up the laptop to check the style of connector. If you're lucky the socket will be on flying leads, however you might find that it's an odd shape and finding a like-for-like replacement may be tricky. £15 isn't the end of the world really, as long as they guarantee it's a compatible replacement.
Be careful with the soldering iron near the mainboard - tracks can be damaged very easily. I do a lot of repairs to PDAs - the charging sockets on them break all too often, and they're very delicate.

well thats not something i want to do again, getting the laptop apart was an absolute nightmare (every single one of the screws had been over tightened on manufacture meaning that when they were taken out the plastic shattered). i dont think it'll go back together again tbh but its worth a shot anyway for £3.

have ordered a connector so i should be able to solder a new connector back in when it arrives, if it doesnt work then ive lost £3 and will ahve to source a replacement laptop for my gran but its worth a shot!

OO had the same problem with the old parents laptop.

Got a universal one from maplins that came with lotso different.

Will grab you the link...

Found em - linky they have lots at varying different voltages so you will need to check on the base of your laptop.

Good luck - hopefully this way will save you a few bob should your plan a fail (y)

Edit: doh bugger ignore meeee! Thought you meant you needed the male end of things :(

The internal sockets on laptops are seriously awkward to replace. Mine had been pretty mashed, I had to unsolder quite a lot of parts, and kinda... resolder the connector back in parts. Whatever replacement connector you get, it almost certainly won't have the same PCB pinout as that one, so it will not be an easy task at all. In addition to + and - contacts, there is also a contact for port sensing (telling whether there is a plug plugged in to it), and you will need to get these the right way round.

Oh, and all that's once you've managed to get the laptop apart, which is more easily said than done...

took the laptop apart last night an absolute nightmare!

desoldered the old plug (or rather ripped the old plug to bits with some side cutters and then just heated up the solder joints and they fell out. new plug is on the way (visually it looks identical to the one ive removed and the plug says that its the right one for my laptop so fingers crossed.

more worried about putting it back together tbh!

An Acer laptap that had the power socket fail, surely not?? :bonk: I had two go, but as they were pretty close to fubar anyway, and I can strip laptops in no time but useless at soldering I didn't bother replacing. Mind you, I might have a go with one of them so brat could have a lappy, the mechanics can solder. Any chance of a link to the socket you bought please whitewash?

www.ebay.co.uk i searched for 'acer aspire 1640 power connector' and it was the first item.

its the positioning of the plug that leads to the problem, if you use it as a laptop it rests on your knee stressing the socket, much better to have it coming out of the side!

more worried about putting it back together tbh!

Take your time use a fine tip on the iron and make a good job of the solder connections (you have some new solder?)

Take your time use a fine tip on the iron and make a good job of the solder connections (you have some new solder?)

at work yes :) i need to buy a fine tipped iron at the weekend as the ones at work all have flat tips and i need a fine point.

more worried about putting it all back together as im going to have to glue alot of the screws in as the bosses are broken!

good news is that ive replaced the power socket, managed to put the whole thing back together and low and behold it works! bad news is that ive got to take the thing apart again because it doesnt seem like the touchpad is connected properly as it doesnt work!

bugger!

taken it apart again to check the connections but cant see anything obvious, could i have damaged the ribbon cable or the socket in anyway removing/refitting the cable?

Check both ends of the ribbon cable. You'll need to make sure that the cable locking mechanism is fully unlocked so that the cable goes all of the way in, then press the locking tab down to hold it in place. The tricky ones take some practice.

Back