need a photo editing monitor

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Budget is up to ~£300 if it's really special but would rather spend closer to £200-£250. I'm by no means an expert but I believe I should be getting a PVA or ideally an IPS panel for accurate colours, rather than TN. It will also be used for film watching so wide viewing angles are also a concern. I can see that IPS panels fetch a premium over the others so I'm quite happy to have a PVA panel. 24" ideally but if there are any 22" monitors with 1920x1200 then I'd consider those as well. Happy to go with any brand.

Can any experts confirm my understanding of the attributes of the panel-types and whether PVA is a sound choice?

In summary:
~£250
22"-24"
not a TN panel

You're going to get only a few IMO, as there are only a few PVA panels of those sizes left on the market, from what I've seen about two months ago.
Samsung used to make them for good prices but they seem to have joined the TN crowd for anything but higher end of their line-up. :( Samsung F2380 is interesting here.
You could get an Eizo, but probably for (quite) a bit more than you want to spend.
Dell had a model, but I'm not sure it's still available.
There's still HP - the HP LP2275w seems to have at least an MVA or better panel (TFT Central says it has a S-PVA panel). Google "HP LP2275w review" without the quotes for reviews. They have at least one good 24" one, according to the reviews.
NEC has some too, but they do cost a bit more.
There are also Acer AL2723W (S-PVA) and LG W2600HP-BF (S-IPS, watch out, there's also a very similar model around with a TN panel).

Which one you choose is up to you, but googling some reviews would be a good idea for starters.

Back