Need new Telephoto Lens

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,
Long ...ish time reader first time poster.
I'm in the market for a new telephoto lens, i've currently got a Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 macro which is... well... not that great (what did i expect for £130 :p ).
I'm going on a photography workshop next month (In The Company of Wolves), so I have decided to buy a new lens for the event.

I have seen the Canon 70-200mm f/4 L which looks very nice, but I'm a bit unsure whether 200mm will be long enough. I have also seen the Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS, if the 200mm is not long enough.
Obviously I would love a 100-400mm L but the wallet says no :)'() - I have seen the 70-200mm L for £350 which is a bit of a bargain and being a L lens it will be of high quality.

Can anyone comment on both these lenses? Which one should I go for (or should i look at something different?)?.
Has anyone done this type of workshop before? What do they recomend?

Thanks! :)

hi there
welcome to the forum, i have just placed an order for the 100-400L from kerso, after also looking around at the others you have mentioned, it really depends on what you will use it for, i just do landscapes, but want to try birds and other fauna.
hope you get what you want.

Perhaps consider the 70-200L with the 1.4x convertor, which would give you 280mm f/5.6 with a negligable drop in IQ?

What's your budget Mr.Orb?

Sorry does help if i gave you a budget.
About £400 - So thats the 70-200 f/2.8 out of the question.

I've got the 70-200 F4 non IS. Great lens. I wanted something light for sunday morning football and this was about right provided I kept moving about and didn't mind cropping.

I've just added a 100-400 IS to get better shots :)

I think this one one of the first shots with the 70-200.
59130077.jpg

you can also pick up the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 for roughly the same money as the Canon F4, maybe a bit more. IMO it's better than the canon F2.8 version.

Colour reproduction is a bit more neutral than the canon as well which tends to be warmer.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

:welcome:

If you are on budget consider the new 55-250 EFS IS.

Byker28i, sorry but that shot is pants. You were moving the monkeys were moving even more.... (you should be able to count the dust specks on each hair)

I agree with this but what about the Canon 70-200L F2.8 non IS model?
Depends what you want to do I suppose.

When hand-holding or in low-light conditions I'd have though the 4-stop IS on the F4 would more than compensate for the wider aperture of the 2.8 I'd have thought, especially with a 1.4x convertor attached.

Obviously the 2.8 would be better for isolating subjects from the background.

Personally I think the IS would be a killer feature when hand-holding with a convertor. The fact that the F4 IS is the most recent addition to the 70-200 lineup speaks volumes to me, as obviously Canon felt there was enough demand from people who wanted IS over the wider aperture of the 2.8.

How about my Sigma 100-300 F4 EX DG APO £500 hardly ever used in tip top mint condition.

Back