Need some help making my mind up...

cosmix3

David Sullivan
Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
No
Hi, need some help making my mind up on what to do, been thinking about getting a 50D for a while now, main reason the abillity to crop abit more for longer shots (wildlife), am using the 40D at the moment and very happy with it, so what I am wandering is should I go for the 50D just for the abbility to crop tighter, or save the money I would spend on it and get somthing like the 300 2.8 L with convrerter for extra reach abit later this year, currently have a maximum of 400mm.

Main reason I cant decide is that I have a niggly feeling that if I buy the 50D I will end up wanting longer reach anyway.

A similar predicament to when I had a 20D - also a 1.6x crop. I opted for the 300 f/2.8 and to extend the lengths, if required, by using a 1.4 or 2.0 TC. Various examples using that combination have been posted in the Animal & Nature and Bird forum here.

Never regretted making that choice.

I would hazard a guess that your zooms aren't providing sufficient resolution to the sensor for the extra pixels to give you any significant increase in cropping possibilities....maybe, just maybe, they're just about doing it at their sweet spots.

Opting for the 300/2.8 will show a huge improvement over the lenses in your bag...of that, there is nothing to dispute.

I'm just up the road and if you feel the urge to prove it to yourself then just say the word.

Bob

A similar predicament to when I had a 20D - also a 1.6x crop. I opted for the 300 f/2.8 and to extend the lengths, if required, by using a 1.4 or 2.0 TC. Various examples using that combination have been posted in the Animal & Nature and Bird forum here.

Never regretted making that choice.

Thanks

Get the glass 100%.

Thanks

I would hazard a guess that your zooms aren't providing sufficient resolution to the sensor for the extra pixels to give you any significant increase in cropping possibilities....maybe, just maybe, they're just about doing it at their sweet spots.

Opting for the 300/2.8 will show a huge improvement over the lenses in your bag...of that, there is nothing to dispute.

I'm just up the road and if you feel the urge to prove it to yourself then just say the word.

Bob

Thanks Bob, you have PM

I'd go for glass rather than upgrade a 40D to a 50D. :)

Thanks

Looks as though the consenceus is the glass so far.

Back