Need some help with a single strobe lighting setup

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all.

A friend at work is doing some freelance work for a magician he knows and will be developing his new website for him. He has asked me to go round his house on Wednesday to take some photos of the guy against a white background (so he can easily cut him out if need be) and I am a little nervous about it.

I have a Canon 400D and will likely use the Canon 50mm F1.8 purely for its sharpness. I also have a 430EX II, Wireless triggers, Manfrotto light stand, 40 inch (i think) shoot through umbrella and a large reflector (which can be made white, silver or gold).

So, with this setup I want to try a few different things and I would imagine that the best thing for me to do is just keep moving the umbrella around and trying different things. But can anyone point me to some setup diagrams with examples for some alternative lighting methods?

Perhaps so which won't use the umbrella etc?

Any help will be appreciated :)

Hiya

Not sure if this helps at all. It's a diagram of a set up I use regularly, and of course the arrangement can be amended as per your requirements but it should at least provide some outline guidance. Hope you find it useful.

Thanks for the reply MusicMan. Unfortunately I only have one umbrella so I am fairly limited, but I am confident I could still get some good shots.

I like the way that diagram is setup. Is there a website which has a database of lighting setups, with real world examples of how the setup looks when in use?

If there isn't, there should be :)

Thanks for the reply MusicMan. Unfortunately I only have one umbrella so I am fairly limited, but I am confident I could still get some good shots.

I like the way that diagram is setup. Is there a website which has a database of lighting setups, with real world examples of how the setup looks when in use?

If there isn't, there should be :)

I have a photoshop psd file I run when I want to do a diagram. I got it off the net ages ago but have forgotten where. I can email it to you if you wish.

If anyone has a server I can put it up with, so all members can download, drop me a line.

No it's ok, but thanks for the offer.

Would make a great lighting resource though, if people could post up their shots and them accompany them with one of those diagrams. People could then search for photos and setups with specific search terms, like "single strobe, shoot through umbrella" and it would show up all of the setups with those :)

go to flickr and seach for single strobe set ups, that will help you heaps.

Depending on the lighting in the room you might be able to light the subject with the ambient light and then use the one light you have to blow the background. That should help your friend with the selections. It won't be the most dynamic lighting on the subject but needs must.

Depending on the lighting in the room you might be able to light the subject with the ambient light and then use the one light you have to blow the background. That should help your friend with the selections. It won't be the most dynamic lighting on the subject but needs must.

This is definitely something I am going to try out. I am going to do some with the shoot through in various positions. Then try a few with the flash bare shooting against the background like you say.

I am sure I'll get SOMETHING usable!! At least I hope I do! (y)

You could use the off camera flash to light the white background and then use the on camera flash to light the subject, might look like a passport photo though.

You could use the off camera flash to light the white background and then use the on camera flash to light the subject, might look like a passport photo though.

I really want to avoid using the onboard flash. But ideally I would have a second flash off camera with the umbrella with the first lighting the background. I am skint thoguh :(

Back