Beginner need stands/arms to hold speedlight down at angles.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, I do a lot of desktop photography for my ecommerce store (watch straps in case your wondering).

I need the speedlight angles to be more dynamic and having the speedlight mounted on the camera just doesn't provide the flexibility i need, because it's shot closeup, often the speedlight is overshooting nowheere near the subject.

Just thinking of getting a microphone stand that podcasters use, that clamp to the desk.

Any experieence with them? are there better solutions? Not really looking for mega expensive option, something £30-£40 ideally.

I forgot to say, almost all my photos are layer stacked, so i can't just hold the speedlight by hand as I need the light to be exactly the same place for 10-15 photos stacked together. Sometimes im doing a wristshot of a strap on a watch on my wrist. So I need the mount to be easily moved to get the light just at the right location.

Last edited:
I don't doubt there are more 'solutions' but came across this product

And this article

No personal experience of this need but as you infer you need the flash to be held very steadily and not sag or otherwise move.

Check the speedlights you have - often they come with a little plastic stand, and that in turn has a standard 1/4" tripod screw thread in it's base.
You might find just using the stand with the had at it's lowest angle is sufficient, if not then use cheap tabletop tripod to allow you to angle it as you need.

Tabletop tripod (just the cheapest I found from a quick check on Amazom, no idea how good this one is);
https://www.amazon.co.uk/iGadgitz-Lightweight-Stabilizer-Digital-Camcorder/dp/B01BMFXNQE

P1.jpg
this LED could give even a brighter light depending on the angle downwards and distance away. Above to give a general idea
aqayr
Takes up little desk space total height including LED is 22 inches
tripod stand by Moman
extn arm (shown extended) by Surui model number SL200
CN-160 LED light
That sirui arm has a hidden secret, the thread at the top can be for either type of standard thread

P1060153a.jpg

Last edited:
problem using a speedlight is getting the downward angle, you would also need a ball joint. Using a CN-160 LED light not only gives a steady light to set a camera up on but also the downward required angle

Sirui extn arm not extended

P1060158aaa.jpg

Last edited:
problem using a speedlight is getting the downward angle, you would also need a ball joint. Using a CN-160 LED light not only gives a steady light to set a camera up on but also the downward required angle

Which is why the tabletop tripod I linked to was one with a built in ball head.

Which is why the tabletop tripod I linked to was one with a built in ball head.
I Would have agreed except it only comes with a standard 1/4" , not the 3/8 screw thread fitting as well, also fixed height so limiting photographic angles.. I actually did quite a bit of research on table top photography and came up with the best solution, for me at least.
I already had the Moman tripod legs with a max spread feet with radius area of 12", so taking up a small amount of desktop space . Also had the LED light so only needed to add the Surui extn
arm. That was especially chosen because of the interchangable head threads and height adjustment as I showed.
Nothing wrong in your choice as long a it fits the needs and requirements
I did consider the clamp types as well but having to clamp and unclamp to get the best lighting position was not a good idea I didn't think, letting alone setting up and taking down.
By adding a manfrotto befree live fluid head gives me even more flexability

Ke5wSKym.jpg

Last edited:
With one of these you can mount nearly any speedlite to a light stand with 5/8" diameter spigot and have umbrella and Bowens type mount for soft boxes too. They have a tilt forward and back capability with locking knob too. The speedlite head gets clamped in the center of the ring.

https://www.amazon.com/Speedlite-AD200Pro-AD400Pro-Honeycomb-Reflector/dp/B07ZHX23L2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=26KGSQL6U08W6&keywords=photography+speedlite+to+bowens+adapter&qid=1705699229&sprefix=photography+speedlite+to+bowens+adapter,aps,96&sr=8-5

Charley

Last edited:
View attachment 412034
this LED could give even a brighter light depending on the angle downwards and distance away. Above to give a general idea
aqayr
Takes up little desk space total height including LED is 22 inches
tripod stand by Moman
extn arm (shown extended) by Surui model number SL200
CN-160 LED light
That sirui arm has a hidden secret, the thread at the top can be for either type of standard thread

View attachment 412032
Is there a way to downvote for bad advice?

Hello, I do a lot of desktop photography for my ecommerce store (watch straps in case your wondering).

I need the speedlight angles to be more dynamic and having the speedlight mounted on the camera just doesn't provide the flexibility i need, because it's shot closeup, often the speedlight is overshooting nowheere near the subject.

Just thinking of getting a microphone stand that podcasters use, that clamp to the desk.

Any experieence with them? are there better solutions? Not really looking for mega expensive option, something £30-£40 ideally.

I forgot to say, almost all my photos are layer stacked, so i can't just hold the speedlight by hand as I need the light to be exactly the same place for 10-15 photos stacked together. Sometimes im doing a wristshot of a strap on a watch on my wrist. So I need the mount to be easily moved to get the light just at the right location.
Don’t forget you’ll need a way to connect to the speed light once it’s off camera, either a cable or transmitter + receiver.

Is there a way to downvote for bad advice?
Just offer another point of view.
The thumbs down emote was removed a long time ago, as it was being used as a weapon.
After all a post will explain more than a simple emote.

Just offer another point of view.
The thumbs down emote was removed a long time ago, as it was being used as a weapon.
After all a post will explain more than a simple emote.
Thank you @Cobra.
I was reacting to a statement that the referenced LED light may be more powerful than flash. LED lights have some benefits like what you see is what you get, but more power vs flash is not one of them.

Thank you @Cobra.
I was reacting to a statement that the referenced LED light may be more powerful than flash. LED lights have some benefits like what you see is what you get, but more power vs flash is not one of them.
I'll leave the technicals to people that have experience as tbh it's a little out of my area. It's an interesting discussion nonetheless

Last edited:
Back