NEF and Vista 64 photo viewer

Edit My Images
No
I have just upgraded my PC and it came with Vista 64 rather than 32 on my old PC. Having had a look around I can't find anyway of 'viewing' my NEF files through Windows (still open fine in Photoshop CS4 but would be nice to see the files in windows explorer/photo viewer.

Does anyone know of a free viewer (I did find a chargable software site but quite frankly I don't see why I should pay for something that everyone else gets for free ie Vista 32 or other Windows versions)

Appreciate any advice/info (y)

You could use capture nx which should come with most nikon dslrs.

Failing that i also have vista 64 and have tried a couple of things but to no avail. Although sometimes i see the thumbnails in "my computer", etc. But then sometimes i dont. It's wierd.

You could use capture nx which should come with most nikon dslrs.

Failing that i also have vista 64 and have tried a couple of things but to no avail. Although sometimes i see the thumbnails in "my computer", etc. But then sometimes i dont. It's wierd.

Yep I know I can use Capture or Photoshop but what I often like to do is just skim through shots in explorer which I can't do now :(

I guess with Windows 7 we might see some support but then again I will get the 64bit version and probably have the same issues :shrug:

i use picasa photo viewer , the colours always look very flat on the NEF's though

its still a good way of flicking through the files

To be able to view RAW images/thumbnails in explorer you need to install a 64bit codec.
The only ones available to my knowledge are from ardfry http://www.ardfry.com/ but you have to pay for them when the evaluation period is up.
EDIT: it looks like the NIKON ones are not even ready yet.

To be able to view RAW images/thumbnails in explorer you need to install a 64bit codec.
The only ones available to my knowledge are from ardfry http://www.ardfry.com/ but you have to pay for them when the evaluation period is up.
EDIT: it looks like the NIKON ones are not even ready yet.

Yep thats the paid app I was aware of, the Nikon beta codec is here http://www.ardfry.com/nef-codec/ but really not prepared to pay for something that should be standard anyway!!!!

Yep thats the paid app I was aware of, the Nikon beta codec is here http://www.ardfry.com/nef-codec/ but really not prepared to pay for something that should be standard anyway!!!!

I agree completely. I have the same issue with canon and their cr2 codec, only being available in a 32 bit variety.
You could email Nikon to see if they have one planned, you might have better luck than me as it seems canon don't give a monkies.

If you download and install view-nx (should be on your Nikon CD also) then that should install the necessary files to enable you to see thumbs of your NEFS.

Failing that, photomechanic is a great programme for importing and quick viewing NEFS. It's time limited but if you have a domain based email address...........;)

WOW! How aboout this for a fast response to my query with Nikon!!!

Reply received a few mins ago:

Thank you for your email regarding 64 Bit operating systems,

Nikon currently does not have plans to support 64 bit version of Windows Vista. I apologise for the inconvience.

We hope this answers your question. If you wish to leave us feedback regarding this subject please update this incident and we will inform the appropriate department. After forwarding your comment the incident will be closed as we unfortunately cannot answer individual change requests for products and software.

If you have any further queries regarding this matter, please click the link above to update your question.

Kind Regards,

Damien O'Farrell
Nikon Europe Support

If you download and install view-nx (should be on your Nikon CD also) then that should install the necessary files to enable you to see thumbs of your NEFS.

Failing that, photomechanic is a great programme for importing and quick viewing NEFS. It's time limited but if you have a domain based email address...........;)

Nope the nx software doesn't help windows picture viewer see the NEFs unfortunately :(

Back