Neg Scanner?

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello :) Could anyone recommend a budget 35 mm neg scanner please?

Last edited:
What size is the negative?

I spend a lot of time on the road, so went with the Plustek 8200i AI scanner - flatbeds apparantely might give somehow better results.
But I have been happy with the Plustek for the last few months.
Nice to be able to scan your negs in the camper on the road.. and not wait for months to get home :)
But I know this probably isn’t everyone’s problem :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

See if you can get a 2nd hand epson perfection V700 flatbed.

It'll then do negs, slides and prints.

Cheap too.
Appreciate your help again Terry. I had no idea you scan negs with a flatbed, would also be handy for all the old family photographs as well.

I spend a lot of time on the road, so went with the Plustek 8200i AI scanner - flatbeds apparantely might give somehow better results.
But I have been happy with the Plustek for the last few months.
Nice to be able to scan your negs in the camper on the road.. and not wait for months to get home :)
But I know this probably isn’t everyone’s problem :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That looks a handy size and makes sense for travelling.

That would have helped wouldn't it :giggle: 35 mm fella.
Heh, I guessed 35mm but wanted to clarify :)
What’s your budget?
And what do you intend to do with them scans (printing, viewing on the screen?).
I have a plustek 8200 but I’m pretty certain it’s not the best out there. I bought it for £180 but you can get the older models for less.
I haven’t tried copying the negative with a camera yet but i suspect it’s a better solution than the scanner I already have.
Scanning negs is a pain generally..

Heh, I guessed 35mm but wanted to clarify :)
What’s your budget?
And what do you intend to do with them scans (printing, viewing on the screen?).
I have a plustek 8200 but I’m pretty certain it’s not the best out there. I bought it for £180 but you can get the older models for less.
I haven’t tried copying the negative with a camera yet but i suspect it’s a better solution than the scanner I already have.
Scanning negs is a pain generally..
I saw something very similar to the Plustek in a charity a few months ago for £10.00. I resisted the temptation as I knew it would trigger a desire to buy a 35 mm film camera!
I should have bought it, as on Sunday I picked up a mint condition Zenit 11 with Helios 50 mm lens, and now I want to shoot B/W film again. I haven't had a darkroom since the mid 90's, and now I don't have the room, but I'm happy developing film which made think of a scanner. The flat bed scanner Terry mentioned is interesting as it does give me the option for scanning photographs, which would make sense. here's a piccy of the Zenit :giggle:

Zenit 11.jpg

I have a Plustek for 35mm and an Epson V550 flatbed for everything else.

The Plustek is quick, less faffy and convenient but it only does standard 35mm.

As mentioned above, a flatbed gives you more flexibility if you want to scan medium format (for when you "pick up" your next charity shop find) and also for weird 35mm formats like the Sprocket Rocket or XPAN, or 35mm shoved into other cameras like Instamatics, or medium format cameras (or anything that doesn't create a 3:2 aspect ration neg). It's also handy for scanning polaroids (or Instax) and of course old family photos.

Nice camera!

How 'budget' do you want :)

I recently found some old negs and slides and wanted to scan them without any significant outlay. I got one of these from Amazon, and it did what I needed it to do.

Depends of course what you want to use the final output for; may not be suitable for you.

Cheers

Nick

Appreciated Nick. Budget wise it's about right, I've just been watching the video and reading a few of the reviews. I think at the moment the flat bed Terry suggested might be worth saving for!

If you have a Nikon DSLR

I use a Nikon ES-2 - the internet will explain how to use it with a Nikon DSLR, better than I can

about £150

Last edited:
I saw something very similar to the Plustek in a charity a few months ago for £10.00. I resisted the temptation as I knew it would trigger a desire to buy a 35 mm film camera!
I should have bought it, as on Sunday I picked up a mint condition Zenit 11 with Helios 50 mm lens, and now I want to shoot B/W film again. I haven't had a darkroom since the mid 90's, and now I don't have the room, but I'm happy developing film which made think of a scanner. The flat bed scanner Terry mentioned is interesting as it does give me the option for scanning photographs, which would make sense. here's a piccy of the Zenit :giggle:

View attachment 420257
Careful it’s like an addiction, I’ve started with a cheap slr thinking I’ll just shoot a few rolls every now and then just for fun. Ended up buying equipment for dev. And printing. And lately have been dipping my finger to Medium format (I used to think MF would never be my thing).
Flatbed seems to be the best solution in case you end up going larger than 35mm. You never know:p
I have a Plustek for 35mm and an Epson V550 flatbed for everything else.

The Plustek is quick, less faffy and convenient but it only does standard 35mm.

As mentioned above, a flatbed gives you more flexibility if you want to scan medium format (for when you "pick up" your next charity shop find) and also for weird 35mm formats like the Sprocket Rocket or XPAN, or 35mm shoved into other cameras like Instamatics, or medium format cameras (or anything that doesn't create a 3:2 aspect ration neg). It's also handy for scanning polaroids (or Instax) and of course old family photos.

Nice camera!
How does the dedicated 35mm compare to the flatbed ? With the plustek Resolution is not really a prob but i find it lacking in dynamic range. Which in my opinion is more important than resolution.

How does the dedicated 35mm compare to the flatbed
I guess everyone is different when it comes to perception. I had the flatbed before the Plustek and wasn't happy with the 35mm scans. I regularly print 13x19 though so that sort of enlargement from a 35mm does require decent resolution. I didn't notice dynamic range issues. My problem was sharpness and resolution. The Plustek is great for both and is noticeably better for me than the flatbed. On my V550 I scan straight on the glass as it's sharper than using the neg carrier. So scanning is super painful for me and the time saving the Plustek gives me is yet another added bonus. You're right though - a flatbed is definitely a more flexible solution. I'm just lucky I have the desk space (and money) for both.

One further thing I will add though is that buying a super cheap scanner (whatever format) will give meh results that might put a newcomer off film. With proper attention to detail, you can get (internet usable) quality on a par with digital. Crap lenses, with expired film, in out of date developer, dried in a dusty room, and scanned with a £10 Amazon scanner will give terrible results.

Last edited:
Careful it’s like an addiction, I’ve started with a cheap slr thinking I’ll just shoot a few rolls every now and then just for fun. Ended up buying equipment for dev. And printing. And lately have been dipping my finger to Medium format (I used to think MF would never be my thing).
Flatbed seems to be the best solution in case you end up going larger than 35mm. You never know:p
I blame the father-in-law :ROFLMAO: All my 35mm gear, medium format and darkroom equipment had pretty much all been sold by the late 90's. Last month, my father-in-law gave me three adapters, I found out (On here) they were for Minolta to Nikon and Nikon to Sony. No idea what I was going to do with them, but it triggered thoughts about old lenses! I've picked up five since Sunday:ROFLMAO:

I'm currently thinking about the Valoi Easy 35... Have a look at reviews relating to image quality if you've not heard of it.

Also adding this as a great resource from @ChrisR

Back