Negative storage

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
Howdo folks,

I'm starting to amass a collection of the sleeves that you store negatives in, the ones designed to go in a ringbinder. Problem is the ringbinders are designed for normal A4 docments and the sleeves are slightly wider so they all poke out the side of the folder and are at risk of getting damaged (not that you'd notice much difference after my botched reel loading attempts).

Are there proper ring binders for this sort of thing?

Howdo folks,

I'm starting to amass a collection of the sleeves that you store negatives in, the ones designed to go in a ringbinder. Problem is the ringbinders are designed for normal A4 docments and the sleeves are slightly wider so they all poke out the side of the folder and are at risk of getting damaged (not that you'd notice much difference after my botched reel loading attempts).

Are there proper ring binders for this sort of thing?

Yes, but you will find that the sleeves will start to come adrift as the paper leaves the plastic.
:crying:

Yes, I inherited one that came originally from Jessops, I guess this would be the proper thing. Also there are some listed on www.7dayshop.com

You need neg sleeves, they're pretty much the same size as those A4 things but they have seams/slots.
I buy 3 slot for my 120, 12 frames = 4 frames per slot.
Equally you can buy 4 slot, they run across the page rather than down, 3 frames per slot.
Silverprint do them, you might find some on Ebay, dunno about binder holes, mine don't have any, I keep them in those boxfile boxes with the spring clip.

Polythene film storage

I've got the 4-slot-3-frame ones at the minute, think I got them from speed graphic. They're just too wide to go in a normal ring binder. Perhaps the 3-slot-4-frame ones are narrower. I'll order some and scour 7dayshop for a proper folder.

(y)

I've got the 4-slot-3-frame ones at the minute, think I got them from speed graphic. They're just too wide to go in a normal ring binder. Perhaps the 3-slot-4-frame ones are narrower. I'll order some and scour 7dayshop for a proper folder.

(y)

Kenro ringbiners are extra wide to accmodate 7 strip neg file sheets...

Ah, now then.....;)........scanning.
I buy the 3 slot 4 frame ones because this minolta accepts 4 frames on a strip.
If I remember rightly, the epson wouldn't take 4, I had to cut 1 off to scan, it all starts getting messy, it made sense to have them cut in to 3's and buy the 4 strip sleeves.:D

Mine fit fine in this daft box..

s0xu2w.jpg

Well seeing as my Epson only does two at a time perhaps I should by the 4-frame thingys, cut the strips into frames of two and jam two strips of two per slot.

Cheers for the tip off Holden I'll give their website a thorough going over later.

This place rocks (which is in complete contrast to my ability to load film onto a reel without damaging it. Two attempts, two failures).

Am I going mental or do you keep double posting..:LOL:

The Epson will hold 4, but only one way round, if you only want one of the middle 2 scanning, and its b/w so it matters which surface is down, you might have to cut.
with 3 frames, it fits both ways

For some reason when I'm using the PC instead of the laptop it double posts. I'll fire up the laptop later and clean the posts out (unless a kindly MOD type wouldn't mind doing it in exchange for eternal gratitude and some blue belly button fluff I just found.).

Ah, now then.....;)........scanning.
I buy the 3 slot 4 frame ones because this minolta accepts 4 frames on a strip.
If I remember rightly, the epson wouldn't take 4, I had to cut 1 off to scan, it all starts getting messy, it made sense to have them cut in to 3's and buy the 4 strip sleeves.:D

Mine fit fine in this daft box..

s0xu2w.jpg

ooh excellent i've been looking for a storage solution myself will be getting me some box files now :)

I use some normal sized A4 sleeves. In the sleeve I put my A4 (or thereabouts) contact sheet and my (slightly wider than A4) negative holder sleeve folded in half down one of the negative divider seams. If you see what I mean?

:beer::beer:Hi Kev I bought heavy duty plastic box files ring binder type from asda foolscap size to store 35mm and medium format negs using sleeves i bought on e-bay .
I put sleeve with negs in then punch 2 holes in contact sheet and place on top of negs .
Soon to be ex wife says its the only part of my life thats organised.
Have a great Xmas everyone

I would not recommend storing you transparencies in a box file; most, modern stationery products contain a wide variety of chemicals including bleach.

Chances are that if stored for long enough say 5 years of more you may see fading of the images.

In a previous life I worked for of the worlds leading archival photo storage companies so I know a bit about this.

PVC and film, tranny and prints are not a good combination long term the C in PVC stands for Chloride, the chemical is added to to make the plastic more supple , however the down side is that is is also a bleaching agent and can damage photo sensetive materials.

Honest, I could bore for England on this subject.....

Hey Holden - what do you suggest for storing slide/negative sleeves? Non-plastic (ie. cardboard) files?

My tutor at college recommends tissue sleeves for long term storage.

Hey Holden - what do you suggest for storing slide/negative sleeves? Non-plastic (ie. cardboard) files?

You can use ‘plastic’ sleeves, however they are really only useful for transparencies as they allow you to view on a light box, you cannot easily view negs this way

My recommendation would be acetate or polyester sleeves for trannys and paper sleeves for negs available from

Here

and

Here

I have no connection with any of these companies

Kenro ringbiners are extra wide to accmodate 7 strip neg file sheets...

Exactly what I use for my negs. If you really want to push the boat out they do cases to fit the ringbinders in as well to stop dust getting at you negs. Far too expensive for what they are though :|

Back