nephew , advice appreciated

Name
Tristan
Edit My Images
Yes
Other day i visited my nephew and decided to take few pics to try out flash, he was standing in his cot and couldnt really do too much, but could someone tell me if these images are okay and not too far with the flash power, or if theres anything i could have done better with the flash. These were bounced..

Linked to slightly bigger pics so things can be seen clearer

image1
image2
image3
image4

Not much wrong with those at all, I'm partial to the mono version which is unusual for me.

The trouble with bouncing the flash off the ceiling is that whilst it effectively gives you a huge reflector up above spreading a nice soft light downwards, because of the downward light, it does throw shadows under the chin. You've done exactly what I would do with a single gun on camera and no diffuser though.

This is where the Fong diffuser is great in that pointed up at the ceiling it still provides that soft spread of light from above, but the main body of the Fong still throws enough fill light forward to fill the shadows.

Number 4 for me. You just want to reach and wipe away the tear.....

I agree - the mono is wonderful. Your focus on the eyes is spot on. I would like to see a bit more highlight in those dark brown eyes. Keylighting is so hard to perfect. Just my personal take on it.

My wife has dark eyes too and they are really difficult to expose correctly.

The B&W really does it all though. Thanks for sharing.

God these are all lovely. :)

Can you share what you have done to give the soft dreamy look of these?

Back