Netbooks

I'm not sure the SSD would make a lot of difference, their main advantage over platters is seek time, but you'd certainly notice a RAM upgrade. £10-15 to stick 2GB in an NC-10 so can't go too far wrong there.

I've used lightroom to process a few rounds of pictures on my NC-10, I do switch the resolution to 1024x768 and fullscreen it and it's perfectly usable in terms of screen space, but I wouldn't like to do a lot of processing, takes a few seconds for most actions.

i think chillimonster and petemc were/are running windows 7 beta on an aspire one.(petemc definetly, not sure on chilli though)

i think chillimonster and petemc were/are running windows 7 beta on an aspire one.(petemc definetly, not sure on chilli though)

Sure was (in fact its still on there, as part of a triple boot OSX / XP / W7) and have just not got round to deleting the XP and W7 Partitions yet as i just boot up to OSX and away i go. Does everything i want it to and does it well on the small system :)

i think in the 2nd half of this year we will start to see some new netbooks running the new dual core atom processors from Intel, which, coupled with 64gb ssd should make them very smooth indeed, and capable of running CS3

got an Asus eee 901 is the linux but have a lite version of Xp running. I use cs2 (I know its old but cant afford to upgrade) and it runs really well. I wouldnt want to do anything major on it but for just previewing pics or slight adjustment its fine. Although I do not have a mouse for it so it is a little difficult to do anything intricate. very handy piece of kit and light to carry about in a bag with the rest of your kit. im sure you wont be dissapointed! :)

Not a 'netbook' as such but uses the same bits of kit but has a much bigger screen is the HP Compaq CQ2000. Suggested one to my cousin recently and it does seem really rather good for the £319 she got it from Tesco for.

I'd be tempted but coming soon for small form factor is the VIA Nano already announced for the Samsung NC20 with the Nvidia Ion or the Atom GN40 chipset coming up fast.

the NC10 is definately the one to go for if your feeling flush, nice keyboard, screen and touch pad combined with class leading battery life.

I agree. they really do look and feel nice.
They are heavier than the competion, but wont burn your lap like the HP-2133....istead the'll burn a nice hole in your pocket, with costing twice as much as some of the competion, even with the discount

Back