Netflix flashes

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Does anyone else get flashes of images on their screen while watching Netflix on their computer? I noticed it tonight and it seemed to be flashing what looked like a tweet on my screen. It happened frequently and on more than one show. It lasts for such a short time you can't read any of it. I wondered if it was a bug on my Mac. I'm running Mojave 10.14.3 and using Safari latest version.

I googled it and a few other people are reporting the same thing. Some are worried it's supraliminal advertising from some malware. I ran Bitdefender and it came up with nothing.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
there was a idea going around years ago that you could advertise things by doing it with extremely fast flashes on the t.v screen to get into the subconscious mind , rather than doing full length advertising . perhaps they are experimenting with this ,, have you found yourself suddenly getting the urge to buy a different brand of lipstick or pantyliners as it might be working o_Oo_Oo_O

there was a idea going around years ago that you could advertise things by doing it with extremely fast flashes on the t.v screen to get into the subconscious mind
It was an experiment many years ago, subliminal advertising its called, it took place in an "old fashioned" cinema
and IIRC various images of ice cream were "Flashed" during the main feature, and at intermission ( remember those? :D )
Sales of ice cream went "through the roof"
It was an experiment, and its use duly banned.

After a quick google there are actually more examples than I was aware of, and its not actually banned!

It was an experiment many years ago, subliminal advertising its called, it took place in an "old fashioned" cinema
and IIRC various images of ice cream were "Flashed" during the main feature, and at intermission ( remember those? :D )
Sales of ice cream went "through the roof"
It was an experiment, and its use duly banned.

After a quick google there are actually more examples than I was aware of, and its not actually banned!
So what brand of lipstick do you buy :p

This interesting article about subliminal advertising says it's been banned in the UK since 1957.
Indeed, with UK terrestrial TV its probably "fairly easy" to monitor, should they desire,
with satellite TV coming from America etc, are we sure that the embedded info has been removed, for the UK audience?
I suspect not.

(Who doesn't love a good conspiracy theory? Eh? :D )

I know about the idea of subliminal advertising but you can actually see these images and I believe these are known as supraliminal adverts. I'm not 100% sure though.

I'm pretty sure Netflix wouldn't do it and so I thought it might be a bug but as I say my malware app hasn't detected anything wrong. It's a similar experience to other people's so don't know what's going on

Indeed, with UK terrestrial TV its probably "fairly easy" to monitor, should they desire,
with satellite TV coming from America etc, are we sure that the embedded info has been removed, for the UK audience?
I suspect not.

(Who doesn't love a good conspiracy theory? Eh? :D )
Banned in the US too. ;)

It only happens on my laptop and on the TV it's fine. I don't believe it's a deliberate ploy by Netflix.

Banned in the US too. ;)
A quick skim of Google previously seemed to be saying that its still allowed or at least continues in the USA

The United States does not have a specific federal or state law addressing the use of subliminal messages in advertising. Instead, it is the country's advertising and broadcasting regulatory agencies that deal with the topic and its impact on the public.

Seems to me that is one hell of a loop hole

Why has the film Fight Club suddenly come to mind....

Shhhh! We're not supposed to talk about that!

I tried watching Netflix on Chrome on my laptop and it was fine. It makes me believe it might be something to do with the Safari and Netflix combination.

Back