new camera and lenses or just new lenses??

Name
Ruth
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi i currently have the 350d and as its my birthday next week i was looking to get some new lenses.

what i want to get are the
EF-s 10-22mm

EF-s 55-250mm IS usm

and possibly the 18-85mm is usm

Plus the lens hoods.

Now for £300 extra i can get a kit
450d + grip + 4 GB SDHC + batt + the efs 55-250 is and a 17-55 is (doesnt say if they are USM)

The £300 extra accounts for me having to buy the lens hoods and the 10-22mm and an extra SDHC.

Assuming the lenses are of the same standard (i know the 17-55mm isnt the same as 18-85mm) should i spend the extra and up grade the camera??

What befits will the 450d have over my 350d? Should i just buy the lenses and wait till i can afford a 40d (although it will prob be a 50d by then) and i will still have the issue of a lot of the extras not being compatable, where as for £300 i get all the extras?

Also i might be able to get Park cameras where i have priced this lot from to buy my 350d plus grip etc off me.

Thoughts?, suggestions?

Go on you know you want to help me spend my money :naughty:

I've just had a quick look at your Flickr stuff and it seems that your 350D is coping well....you don't seem to need super-sonic AF for your chosen style.

I'm surprised that you've not given any consideration to a prime or two and also think that your focus will lead you down a full frame route sooner or later....might be worth having second thoughts about aquiring too many EF-S lenses.

Bob

I have a nifty fifty and 100mm macro. So primes are not a problem for me.

Honestly im not sure ill ever be able to afford full frame but it is a consideration. however, there doesnt seem to be the range of EF lenes unless you have the money for L, which i don't.

Which is why im so confused about the whole thing tobe honest.

My thoughts :D

Hi i currently have the 350d and as its my birthday next week i was looking to get some new lenses.

Happy Birthday for next week :D Birthdays are a great excuse to get more gear, I wish I had more than one birthday a year!

what i want to get are the
EF-s 10-22mm

EF-s 55-250mm IS usm

and possibly the 18-85mm is usm

Plus the lens hoods.

I think you mean 17-85 instead of 18-85 right? :)
Out of those, I'd choose the 10-22. For me, the ultra-wide zoom really opened up a different view of things. From what I've read, you've currently only got the 50 and 100?
I've had the 17-85 for coming to 4 years now, the range is good, you get from wide to telephoto with image stabiliser.
I think the image quality is only OK and the build quality also only OK. If you like to view at 100%, the image quality going from primes (a 50mm and 100mm) may disappoint, but if you are only going out with one lens, this one works well :)
After buying L, I was spoilt and I didn't want to touch this lens, I even lent it to a friend for 6 months, but now, on travels, it's coming handy being relatively small and light, with the range and IS. I bought the lens hood for this too, but I don't think it's necessary.

Now for £300 extra i can get a kit
450d + grip + 4 GB SDHC + batt + the efs 55-250 is and a 17-55 is (doesnt say if they are USM)
Yes I think the EF-S 17-55 IS is USM, and I think (again, apart from the build (once again spoilt by L)) a good lens - constant f/2.8 and IS!

The £300 extra accounts for me having to buy the lens hoods and the 10-22mm and an extra SDHC.

Assuming the lenses are of the same standard (i know the 17-55mm isnt the same as 18-85mm) should i spend the extra and up grade the camera??

Just my own thought is that bodies aren't really worth upgrading unless it's something major, to like full frame. Sometimes I regret "upgrading" from a 300D to a 30D and wish I had upgraded to a 5D instead, because they were, in some ways, too similar. But this is just me having excuses to buy more gear.

What befits will the 450d have over my 350d?
From what I can remember, 450D has spot metering, the self-cleaning sensor, a bigger screen, live view, different AF point layout (diamond shape) more megapixels and things inside like the 14 bit A/D, DiGiC III.

Should i just buy the lenses and wait till i can afford a 40d (although it will prob be a 50d by then) and i will still have the issue of a lot of the extras not being compatable, where as for £300 i get all the extras?

Save if you can, the longer you save, the better and cheaper things generally get. I like the slightly bigger bodies of the X0D series cameras over the smaller XX0D series cameras, but if you don't mind the small body and no rear dial of the 450D, the 450D is already packed with features. I can only think that the main advantages of the 40D over a 450D, other than the larger body & rear dial, is the higher continuous drive frame rate and High ISO expansion to ISO3200.

Go on you know you want to help me spend my money :naughty:
I always make my friends spend money. Just let them try some good gear, get them hooked, and the infection spreads!

Also keep in mind what was said earlier, that the EF-S lenses won't be compatable with FF cameras if you plan on upgrading to FF in the future :)

ok i keep thinking about this and your comments are definatly helpful.

I do currently have a EFs 18-55 kit lens, which spends a lot of time on my camera. and also a 70-300 i got second hand when i first got my camera - i hardly ever use it because its so big and heavy i get camera shake. So im looking for some decentish zooms and IS, IS is the major thing here im not considering any lenses with out it.

So taking into account Cannon Bobs thoughts i had another look on the park camera's website. Up grading of the body wasn't something i considered untill i saw the kit with the lenses on the website today.

Your both right there is nothing wrong with my 350d and as i can't afford a 5d yet i shall keep the 350d.

So i have 2 very good primes, which i don't use as often as i should. and 2 ok zooms. What i want are some good zooms.

The 10-22mm i have prety might decided to get i do a lot of landscape stuff and i think i will use it.

So if i decide to go ahead and get EF lenses rather than EF-S in the hope one day i will get a 5d the contenders are the EF 28-135 3.5 - 5.6 IS USM and the EF 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM (as i said IS is a must).

I know neither of them are fast but im not worried about that as i have the primes for when i need fast and its not often that i do.

My head hurts - i really want to get the best for my money and stuff i will get the most use out of. There is no point buying lenses i dont use.

The 28-135 IS is a useful and fairly compact piece of gear for its price. It's the only non-L zoom that I've got....used as my wife's walkabout lens.

Bob

It does apear that people on here fall into the EF-S or L groups with very little inbetween.

From what i can see the EF-S lenses get better reviews, most of the EF reviews say spend the extra and buy L. :( its very complex

Happy birthday in advance :)

I'd be tempted to go for one piece of L glass instead of the consumer stuff. Quality glass is always a far better bet. I'd also look for deals on a 40D over a 450D, sometimes there can be very little in it, pricewise

It does apear that people on here fall into the EF-S or L groups with very little inbetween.

From what i can see the EF-S lenses get better reviews, most of the EF reviews say spend the extra and buy L. :( its very complex

"Very complex"?...it's actually very simple. Don't buy a Ford if you expect it to drive it like a Ferrari. If you're not expecting superior performance then you won't have a problem. The real issue with EF v EF L is that it's hard to mix the two....although L zooms are not significantly better than EF primes (IMHO)

£ for £, the EF-S should be a better IQ than regular EF as they're much cheaper to make....there'll always be exceptions and there are a few regular EF lenses that perform very well...the 50/1.8 and 100/2.8 spring to mind and have the emphasis on IQ rather than build.
The main benefit of the L's (build quality aside) is that they are very usable from wide open upwards...of course, they improve after a stop or two.

The warning has to be...don't get your first L until you're ready to get the next three or four.

Happy birthday :wave:

Bob

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

You guys have given me lots of food for thought and at this point i have no idea what to buy :(

maybe i should look at the getting one L and the 10-22 which is easy cos there only one version of it :)

Here is another though, do you really need the super wide angle? Would a 17-40L suffice? It is a very good lens, excellent colour rendition and if/when you make the jump to full frame it will work a treat there too.

Just a thought.

Back