Wales New car, week off, forecast good,road trip in Wales, suggestions please

wack61

I've got an itchy hatch
Edit My Images
No
I've spent a couple of hours looking for an itinerary for 5-6 days in wales, we're in Warrington so I was thinking to start in north wales , drive down to the centre on coast roads then back , didn't want to go as far down as Pembrokeshire as I'd sooner see more in a shorter trip than try and cram too much in

I was thinking something like this but starting off at 3 to 6 then cutting across to the top of the arrow, I've always said i'd try and make it to the Mach Loop but they have 1 hour windows for flights and my wife has mobility issues after a neurological illness some years ago so she'd be sat in the car.

1JPG.jpg

Obviously photography but touristy things and as few dual carriageways as possible as this is what we'll be doing it in20211004_140146.jpg

any accommodation recommendations , I'm trying to keep it under £100 a night if possible , it'll be midweek sunday to friday so hopefully that'll be possible

Last edited:
Mach loop is tricky one as they come at random times.

Nice ride by the way, pity they don't do auto for this GR :crying:
The publish a timetable , probably so the locals know when to come outside and wave their fists

Thanks

somebody suggested this route on another forum after I mentioned trying to fit the Mach Loop in with my wife in tow

If you want to watch the planes and have some lunch go to the cross foxes in Dolgellau, can sit on the terrace and enjoy.
There to Aberystwyth, down the coast to aberaeon has great views but too busy for any fun driving. Aberaeon to Lampeter, down the a482, over towards Llandovery on the a40, then a483 towards Builth wells, up to Newtown is good if you can get a clear run. Elan valley / Rhayader a nice scenic road etc

You're missing out NE Wales. I find the Horseshoe Pass and Nant-y-Garth between Ruthin and Llangollen full of interesting scenery, the Nant y Garth a good test for the GR. Llangollen has the Railway, the aqueduct and Dinas Bran castle.

The Denbigh Moors has some good roads too - Alwen reservoir (not on the scale of Efyrnwy or Elan) is quite impressive. Not sure of state of Gwylfa Hiraethog (the shooting lodge by the Sportsman's Arms) but plenty to see.

Thinking of doing the Mach Loop next year. Any advise on best time to go. Would the Sony 200-600mm lens be too long?

Back