New D40x or s/h D50?

wilmorh

Admin's Favourite Member
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm about to buy my first DSLR, and I have been set on a d40x, however i can buy a d50 with an extra lens for the same price ish. I am currently using a fuji s5600, and feel that i am starting to outgrow it. what should my next logical step be?

Hope you can help??

the d50 is a good camera . it can use a greater selection of nikon lenses than the d40x . less pixels but unless you are going to blow up to massive print size or do some severe cropping then you wont need them anyway. i dont think you will be disapointed with a d50.

You could go s/h D80

I hadn't considered a D80, I had a look at those items, and I'm very tempted! just concerned that it would be too advanced? Maybe not?

Thank you for your advice though, its hard to know what to buy

The D80 was my first DSLR and I still use it. I have only been shooting digital for about 7 months. My transition was from a Nikon FM2 and the learning curve was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't read my manual very much, but instead turned to sites such as this and read, read, read.

My girlfriend had a D50 and it was quite a nice camera as well. I honestly don't think you'd go wrong with either the 50 or the 80.

Saying that you are "outgrowing" your Fuji, I'd hate for you to grow out of a D40 simply because of the limited lens options.

If you can stretch to the D80 then get one - it's a fantastic camera with all the main features of the D200, but with the creative modes for comfort for when you're just not sure what settings you need.

Thankyou for all your replies, i've really been struggling to work out which one to go for. I hadn't considered the d80 before!

The D50 was my first dSLR (I was put off the D40 due to the lack of an autofocus motor). The D50 is a superb camera, and had great noise control.

But then, i'm slightly biased as i'll be selling my D50+18-55 later in the week for £200 (due to an upgrade) - PM me if you're interested.

Dont forget the D40x uses the new Sony sensor which are pretty amazing, Theory had a D40x before upgrading to his D80 and reckons the D40x takes slighty better quality images.

Although i Love my D80 to bits and am very happy with the quality.

Having a D50 myself, I hold reservation in recommending a D50. In terms of handling, I'd have one over the D40x any day. The D40x is too small, and just doesn't sit well in my hand. Also the lack of top LCD really is a downer for me!

However saying that, a s/h D80 is a very good idea. It has everything the D50 has and more, including the option to stick a proper battery grip on it as well for even further improved handling. Also it has the same Res as the D40x, a top LCD and no lens restrictions. win tbh!

Back