New desktop/laptop system

Name
Jeremy Moore
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm running a 4(approx) year old laptop which was pretty much top of the range back then (Acer 8104) but the hard disk is now full (80GB - that WAS huge!), so I'm thinking of upgrading.

Laptop or desk top?? I don't have much space for a case by my desk, so it might have to be laptop.

Is a really high spec machine now overkill for photo-editing? Top of the range models now seem to be gaming machines......

Windows? Still running XP and don't want to get involved with Vista as 7 is just round the corner. Should I wait till 7 is readily available? Is it likely that any manufacturers will offer free upgrades from XP to 7?

Monitor? Is anyone using one of the top of the range makes like Eizo - the cheapest, which has had good reviews, being about £400+VAT?

If I spend about £500 on a desktop system without monitor, plus an Eizo, would I get a balanced system?

What would the laptop equivalent cost?

(Don't mention macs)

cheers, j

You could replace the hard disk (make sure to get the right type, probably PATA) and put your money towards a really good external monitor.

Plus you can get a case for your old hard disk and use it for back-ups.

If the machine still does the job then an external HDD could work well.

As for replacing the internal one you can get a 320Gb HDD (SATA) from ebuyer for under £42!! or a 160Gb HDD (IDE) for about £60

If the machine still does the job then an external HDD could work well.

As for replacing the internal one you can get a 320Gb HDD (SATA) from ebuyer for under £42!! or a 160Gb HDD (IDE) for about £60

Might be a good idea, but I wouldn't know how to change it......and I think to be honest my laptop is a bit slow now. It's not just the HD.

Have got external HD as well, but Carbonite online backup doesn't work on external drives.

Hrm, I don't consider that very good. I use MozyHome and as long as its connected the the computer- it will be backed up (if you want). And its cheaper as well :) Sorry I am going offtopic somewhat.

A bit offtopic perhaps but interesting. Care to spill the beans?

http://mozy.com/ is the website, $5 a month for unlimited backup of 1 computer. So, any external media/hard drives is included. Pay for a year, get 1 month free, pay for 2 years, get 3 months free. They offer 2gb for free- so you can test the service. Thankfully never had to use it for a full restore. Can do restores of a single file though- very useful.

Alistair

If you're prepared to self build, you can pick up an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD, PSU, Case, etc. etc. for about £500 if you buy carefully. It'll eat up photo editing!

If you are looking at high quality monitors I would avoid laptops, the monitors are poor. You could try to get something with a small case (I'm sure there is someone that does Mac Mini sized PCs) or maybe an all in one iMac style PC (I think Sony do them?).

http://mozy.com/ is the website, $5 a month for unlimited backup of 1 computer. So, any external media/hard drives is included. Pay for a year, get 1 month free, pay for 2 years, get 3 months free. They offer 2gb for free- so you can test the service. Thankfully never had to use it for a full restore. Can do restores of a single file though- very useful.

Alistair

That's good! I think Carbonite is about $50 for a year unlimited, but it doesn't include external HD's.

I'll definitely look into this further when my subscription runs out.

If you are looking at high quality monitors I would avoid laptops, the monitors are poor. You could try to get something with a small case (I'm sure there is someone that does Mac Mini sized PCs) or maybe an all in one iMac style PC (I think Sony do them?).

I AM looking at a high quality monitor which is one reason to avoid a laptop, as you say. I'll have to look for mini-cases. There's no point in me paying good money for a monitor, poor or otherwise, if I'm going to get a "Pro" model.

Would you be able to negotiate one of these ready made desktop systems without the standard monitor, I wonder?

There's no rush for this. I'm just floating ideas at the moment.

I just don't want to have to use Vista....

You will be lucky to buy an "off the peg" computer that doesn't run Vista.

Dell do a range of computers called studio Hybrids they are small desktops.

Why not try some local computer shops to see if they will build a computer to your specification.

I just don't want to have to use Vista....

if you buy something with Vista Ultimate or Vista Business on it you have a legal right to downgrade to XP and the PC manufacturer must issue a disc with xp drivers on it as well as the Vista ones.

this doesnt apply to self builds

Gary where is there a legal right? They are selling you a product if you want to change that product that is up to you. They are
a) not legally obliged to do it
b) entitled to make a charge if they do do it.

If you go on the Dell website you can use the options to choose what you want and select no monitor, meaning you can get a really good monitor and use that. They also have some slim line base units, well worth a look.

If monitor quality is important I'd stay away from all in one units (unless you get a 24" iMac and run windows on it).

As you say timescale isn't important I'd simply use the next few months to study what is available, maybe get the monitor to hook up to your laptop and buy a system when Windows 7 is available (I'm sure the Windows fanboys on here will be able to tell you when that is).

If you go on the Dell website you can use the options to choose what you want and select no monitor, meaning you can get a really good monitor and use that. They also have some slim line base units, well worth a look.

If monitor quality is important I'd stay away from all in one units (unless you get a 24" iMac and run windows on it).

As you say timescale isn't important I'd simply use the next few months to study what is available, maybe get the monitor to hook up to your laptop and buy a system when Windows 7 is available (I'm sure the Windows fanboys on here will be able to tell you when that is).

Best advice I've had so far. Thanks!

Back