Critique New Fiesta ST - Night Shoot

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Howdy
Met up with with a customer yesterday for some shots of her new ST as a kind of prequel to a full on shoot that she has booked with me once the weather plays ball.

So these are just quick shots, but they turned out ok :)

#1) Car lit with a single strobe / two exposures for car, one for the sky

Fiesta ST by Mike-Hamilton Photography, on Flickr

#2) Dials

Fiesta ST Dials by Mike-Hamilton Photography, on Flickr

#3) Wire Wool & car lightpainted with my iPhone

Sparks Fly by Mike-Hamilton Photography, on Flickr

Critique & Comments are welcome
Mike

Love the first two, esp the dial. Gonna go try that. But the wirewool one looks "photoshopped" ie looks like you took a photo of a car and stuck it on there. I wonder if you'd used an orange light to paint the car whether it'd look more realistic.

Love the first two, esp the dial. Gonna go try that. But the wirewool one looks "photoshopped" ie looks like you took a photo of a car and stuck it on there. I wonder if you'd used an orange light to paint the car whether it'd look more realistic.
It would, you would expect the lighting to have a little colour to match the ambiance lighting. I like one and two but not a fan of number three, I think its because I am just so over wire wool now unless if someone can do something unique with it.

Very nice, it is so nice to see the background lit a bit as well, and since the car is white there are no annoying streak marks from light source. I very rarely like lightpainting due to people doing it wrong, but I like this.
If you wish some CC even though there is not much to say - in 1 Ifar left of bonnet, b pillar and roof are more grey than white (not enough light maybe), horizon might need tilted right a bit, and I would have cloned that grass bit out in front of the car; in #2 the scratchmarks on right hand side glass are annoying, but not your fault, in #3 the door and roof again stand out a bit more grey and again I would tilt horizon a tiny touch to right.
All these are just small things, it's a great set!

Sorry to HiJack, The shots are great I love the Dials, I'd love to know the settings used. But also Whats this wire wool everyones on about. (Apologies, Complete newbie photographer)

Lovely shots, particularly the dials. It's a shame you can't do something with the technical data readout in the middle though.

Also, I'd love to know how they get 41 out of the car. Best I managed (and I drove SLOW) was 39. :crying:

Amazed that you lit that last shot with an iPhone though, what's the exposure time on that?

Very nice, it is so nice to see the background lit a bit as well, and since the car is white there are no annoying streak marks from light source. I very rarely like lightpainting due to people doing it wrong, but I like this.
If you wish some CC even though there is not much to say - in 1 Ifar left of bonnet, b pillar and roof are more grey than white (not enough light maybe), horizon might need tilted right a bit, and I would have cloned that grass bit out in front of the car; in #2 the scratchmarks on right hand side glass are annoying, but not your fault, in #3 the door and roof again stand out a bit more grey and again I would tilt horizon a tiny touch to right.
All these are just small things, it's a great set!

Thank you Reinis :)

I am to use strobes more and more to get better at them, as i look at your stuff and i would love my lighting to be that good. Plus i think using one strobe is a handicap as there is the potential to miss areas. i need to buy some more.

Im going to re-edit number three so the wire wool can be seen through the windows and ill try to fix the underexposed bits :)

Im also editing another wire wool shot so will post that when its finished :)

I really like this, i don't usually like the wire wool thing but i think it works really well here.

Any chance of a breakdown of how you took the shot please and can i ask did you put the light on the floor in afterwards ?

They are great Mike! I really like #1 and #2 I'm not that keen on the shots with the wire wool (just my personal taste) however they are still quite cool.

I'd love to do this myself, what is required? I have a camera, a tripod and a car ;) I assume some form of lighting is needed also, anything else?

They are great Mike! I really like #1 and #2 I'm not that keen on the shots with the wire wool (just my personal taste) however they are still quite cool.

I'd love to do this myself, what is required? I have a camera, a tripod and a car ;) I assume some form of lighting is needed also, anything else?

I usually lightpaint my cars at night, so i have a home made box with a torch in it. But i used an off camera flash gun for the first shot.

I do like the fact that you can see the wirewool through the windows. Makes it much more realistic.

I've just lurnt a whole lot buy reading this thread so thanks for posting Mike.
I like the photos but I think the car is too far in the first one and as said about cloning out the grass, but also maybe the gate? My favourit is the new photo.

As an extra note, I am a car valeter and my fisrt thoughts where 'hope he's got a clay bar' but I later read that its 2 shots :woot:

not a fan of the ST typically but I do like the look of this one :) :banana:
they all work for me for different reasons
love the REVVING going on in #2!
also the light painting, very nice. not something I've tried yet but it looks tricky to get it so even. looks great on a clean white car...
just saw, #4, not as keen on the low angle on this quite as much as 1-3. not sure why, maybe just the way the shape is elongated.

Last edited:
Back