Beginner New flash

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Another question guys ....any recommendations on a new flash for a nikon 5100 ...I have seen some can give a red pattern our to aid focus in darkness.well i think that's what a read ...thanks kev have around £70 to £100 budget

Another question guys ....any recommendations on a new flash for a nikon 5100 ...I have seen some can give a red pattern our to aid focus in darkness.well i think that's what a read ...thanks kev have around £70 to £100 budget

Yongnuo 568 should do the trick within budget. Then to improve the quality of the light, stick a Lumiquest Big Bounce on top. Should be substantially better at the kind of close-ish range I'm guessing you'll be at with fishy portraits http://store.lumiquest.com/lumiquest-big-bounce/

Last edited:
Hoppy yes it will fishy portrait pics and will look in to both .....I actually did have a look at that flash and seems to be very good value for the money .....only thing it seems to be paid with Canon cameras most of what I have seen .....would you suggest eBay to buy it from or somewhere else..oh and thanks for the help

Hoppy yes it will fishy portrait pics and will look in to both .....I actually did have a look at that flash and seems to be very good value for the money .....only thing it seems to be paid with Canon cameras most of what I have seen .....would you suggest eBay to buy it from or somewhere else..oh and thanks for the help

All flash guns are brand specific (except the most basic ones), so get a Nikon version.

But if you're planning to just stick it on top of the camera, the result will be basically the same as with the pop-up flash. To improve the quality of the light, you need a bigger light source to soften the shadows. A nice big softbox, up and off to one side would be best, but in this kind of situation the limit is usually a practical one. The Lumiquest Big Bounce is just about the biggest light source you can get away with if the flash is staying on-camera and it also raises the height of the light a bit.

So would you recommend useing the flash off the camera on another tripod maybe to the side of the subject???....also how would it trigger it would I need somthing else ???...sorry for all the newbie questions ....

So would you recommend useing the flash off the camera on another tripod maybe to the side of the subject???....also how would it trigger it would I need somthing else ???...sorry for all the newbie questions ....

That changes things a bit. You could still use the YN 568, but with a 622 transceiver and 622 Tx on the camera for triggering and remote control. Or YN 685, with built-in receiver, plusTx unit.

Then you'd need a stand and a softbox of some sort, such as this Godox, or the bigger 80cm version https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...a-cb34-4790-9249-ec9f152ee8e2&pf_rd_i=desktop Or you could do it with an umbrella.

But how practical will all this be? Big softboxes on stands are not a great idea on a windy night by the lake when you're on your own ;)

Yes to much trouble lol ...think I will learn to master the photography and then look at other options ....thanks for all your time and help

Gets a thumbs up from me. Very good flash, quite big though.

One advantage of maybe going yongnuo 560iii is it's built in receiver. Makes off camera flash a doddle.
But the 560 is manual only. Whilst a great flash, I'd always recommend a TTL on camera flash in the first instance.

But the 560 is manual only. Whilst a great flash, I'd always recommend a TTL on camera flash in the first instance.

You're probably right and I'm constantly confused by Yongnuo's naming but would agree that TTL is well worth having. Which model is that, the 685?

Last edited:
You're probably right and I'm constantly confused by Yongnuo's naming but would agree that TTL is well worth having. Which model is that, the 565?
560 manual
565 TTL
568 TTL and HSS
600 uses the Canon radio protocols
658 is same as 568 with a built in receiver for YN622 radio triggers.

560 manual
565 TTL
568 TTL and HSS
600 uses the Canon radio protocols
658 is same as 568 with a built in receiver for YN622 radio triggers.

Just edited my post as you were typing to 685 after a little googling but think that's a good summary.

Back