New guy here

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, I am David

I am new to digital photography but in the day had a pentax program plus with a couple of lenses. My daughter is big into photography and peaked my interest again. And my wallet. I have aquired a used canon 80d with and 18 - 55 I think lens. I have taken about 30 pics so far. I had just gotten it and my old back went down so all I could do was read the 90d manual and a photography book, and some ipad internet on the subject. I am up walking again and hope maybe to be back in full swing in about another week. And of course have my camera with me.

I am trying to start in manual mode from the start up. I also programed back button focus as it seemed like it clicks better in my mind some how.

I am thinking that I need to have a small proto call when getting ready to shoot. May be over kill I don't know. Example might be,
Where is white, (balance)
Which metering,
What's in focus and out,
What do I want action to be, or not (shutter speed)
Correct exposure,
etc.
I assume to shoot low ISO as practical?

Good idea, bad idea just thinking because there are so many buttons on this thing.

I am a visual learner and having trouble with how to think about white balance. It seems backwards to me somehow. For instance, for effect say to warm (orangish) a shot up so to speak. I would increase the number that says it is a cooler bluer number which is really a hotter temp. I think I have it twisted some way but can't make it make sense. I am missing a principle I know, and when a correct one comes it will un twist for me. But for now I have to think it kind of reverse.

I am wanting another lens also a zoom up to 250-300 range. Seems like I hearing save up and get one with a large f stop, large opening.

Any way as you can see I'm just getting started and as everyone else looking for good guidance. And that is why I'm here.

Thanks David

Hi David and welcome to TP

Can I suggest you have a good gander at & around the beginners section here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/talk-beginners.73/

Plus, I am sure (as you said you are more of a visual learner) there are plenty of info videos on YouTube.

Best of luck with your photography journey :)

Welcome to the forum David :welcome:

I would suggest that you leave one or two settings to auto or default (white balance) and give yourself more learning room. You may be in danger of overloading your thinking process.

All the best with you photography, the 80D is a super camera.

:fuji:

Hi David, And welcome aboard TP. "Enjoy"

Welcome to the forum David- so many questions :)

I too suggest looking and posting questions in the Beginners forum

Les :)

Hi David, welcome aboard.

You've come to the right place, there are tons of knowledgeable, helpful folk here who will only be too happy to help.

Have a browse around the forums, you'll soon see where to put any questions and threads you may have. As suggested above, the beginner's forum is a good place to start.

Have fun.

I assume to shoot low ISO as practical?
just to pick up on this one...

Speaking as someone who also started out on film, while - yes - technically, keeping low as possible on ISO is a good thing, if you're thinking "film ISO" 100 is standard (hell, my goto film in the 80's was 50 and 64iso...) and 400 is fast, 1600 is "emergency only" - to be honest, with a 80D, I reckon you'll generally be pretty much ok up to 1600, especially with a bit of post processing noise reduction. Sometimes this advice isn't passed on by people who've never shot on film...

Best thing about digital though, is it doesn't cost you to make comparisons - setup something with a tripod and tabletop indoors, and play around with available light - shoot a series of images, change the shutter speed up and increase the ISO - see where the noise becomes a problem to your own perception of it - if nothing else, it'll give you a better appreciation of how hard you CAN push the camera if you need to, and it'll give you something to play around with while your backs still on the mend :)

Oh - and welcome aboard :D

Welcome to the forum David. I hope you're back on your feet now.

Colour temperature is actually logical - it's the temperature that a theoretical black body radiator has to reach to produce light of that colour. Never mind what the black body radiator part means - just think of it as a poker in a fire. First, no light, then it turns red, then yellow etc. Higher temperature moves the colour from red through the spectrum.

Back