New lens for Sony Alpha A200

Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi my name is Matthew and I am new to this forum! I would like to ask for some advice as I think this play really is the way foreward with my question..

I have a Sony Alpha a200 and i am looking to change the lens, I am into motorsport and this is what the camera would mostly be used for. I have a choice of 2 lenses and I would like some advice on which is the best for motorsport.

So far I think the Sigma but that is only my opinion..

Sigma:http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1011620

Tamron:http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=101381

Thanks for all the help, if you need any more information please ask!

Cheers.

Thanks for that! and yes that is the one.

I have found some Pictures taken with the Sigma APO and to be honest I wouldn't complain If I could get shots like that.

http://www.mattsayle.co.uk/

Matt is a member of these forums and he's obsessed with motorsport, infact he's obsessed with cars in general! If he can get good results with that lens, then so can you!

I'm assuming you'd use manual focus for fast moving cars, as AF would never catch up in time to take an in focus shot, however I've never taken a picture of a fast moving car so I can't honestly say I know how it works!

There should be plenty of tips on these forums about motorsport photography, and if there isn't, start a thread asking peoples advice!

I've never heard many people complain about the APO version of the Sigma, and I've seen some great photos taken with it! And believe me, under £200 for that sort of range and that (potential) quality,, is a big bargain!

I think I will go for that one! I would Use AF as MF would be too hard changing it aswell as other things such as shutterspeeds and Iso and that. And because of the way the car moves and the way the bend of a corner is it will always be getting closer or further away, thats what I think.

Well at the minute I have the 18-70 which came with the camera so I hope the new lens has some distance with it!

thanks any further help would be appreciated!
cheers.

I would Use AF as MF would be too hard changing it aswell as other things such as shutterspeeds and Iso and that. And because of the way the car moves and the way the bend of a corner is it will always be getting closer or further away, thats what I think

As I said before, I really don't know much about action photography so I'd ask around on the forums for the best technique. I'm not sure AF is the way to do it, but I've been wrong before!!

In fact, I'm pretty sure Matt Style wouldn't mind you asking him direct. He's a nice bloke, who'll give you answers in plain english, not techno babble!! Also I'm pretty sure one of the Mods on this site (I'm unsure which Mod, help anyone?!) is a pro Motorsport Photographer, so there are plenty of people around to help you out! I honestly wouldn't know where to begin!!

Yes I understand that I thank you for trying. Yes a pro motorsport photographer would be an interesting person to talk to and Id like to contact matt of his website aswell. Ill do that later on unless he replies to this thread. I know a photographer called Jon Bryant, great bloke! Very helpfull and he always gives me tips and he told me to go for the sigma but wasn't sure on the AF being too slow.

Thanks once again!

Back