New Lens question

PsiFox

Prefers Mac over PC any day
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I have narrowed my choice of purchase down to 2 options.
(Cant find any 2nd hand sigma 120-300 2.8, well not in my price range anyway.)

now 1 of the lenses is black the other is a grey/white colour.

This is not a factor in choosing the lens I just want to know why it should be a different colour.

the only possible reason I can think of is to reflect heat on bright days but then putting a coat on it would negate this.

Any other thoughts on the matter.

Thank you.

The heat things one of the reasons given for the Canon L's. Can't really see it being that much of an issue in this country though ;)

Just a pose value then?

no doubt somebody somewhere could trot out the figures for the expansion in the glass and metal at different temperatures and the impact it has on the image. When you print it out at 6X4 though I'd be surprised if it makes any difference. Just my view, personally I think we spend too much time pixel peeping at 100%.

You have to remember that Canon cater to users who take shots in the Shara Desert in baking temperatures at one extreme and on Mount Everest at the other. We have to take Canon's word for it that the white bodies are beneficial. I doubt it's a big issue in this country with our climate anyway, although I can think of situations where the camera has stood on the tripod in the sun for a long time and the lens has got uncomfortably hot to the touch, so I suppose we have to give Canon credit for knowing what they're doing. ;)

White lenses are a PITA for wildlife though, and a lens coat is pretty mandatory,

You have to remember that Canon cater to users who take shots in the Shara Desert in baking temperatures at one extreme and on Mount Everest at the other. We have to take Canon's word for it that the white bodies are beneficial. I doubt it's a big issue in this country with our climate anyway, although I can think of situations where the camera has stood on the tripod in the sun for a long time and the lens has got uncomfortably hot to the touch, so I suppose we have to give Canon credit for knowing what they're doing. ;)

White lenses are a PITA for wildlife though, and a lens coat is pretty mandatory,

This is for Nikon and when I go abroad it is frequently to places where the temperature is mid thirties and into the forties.

I appreciate the poor dear would need a coat in the UK.

Back