New macro lens *latest pics added*

flossyplops

Read my username twice. Don't get it wrong.
Name
Heidi
Edit My Images
Yes
This week i got a Canon Macro Lens EF 100mm 1:2.8 USM and have been stalking all manner of creatures in the garden. My focussing seems way off, if i can get the head in detail the body is out, and with the fly one eye is in focus and the other is out and theres no detail in the body. I've tried with AF and MF. Should i be using a tripod as i cant seem to hold the camera steady even if i stop breathing!! Here are a couple of my first tries with the lens, any advice would be gratefully recieved.

CopyofFly.jpg

CopyofButterfly.jpg

Last edited:
Hi- Welcome to the frustration of Macro ! - To try and eek out a little more DOF you need to use a smaller aperture, these were taken at F4 & F5.5 - try around F11-F16. Try and stick to handholding and practice you will get there, Try using a diffused flash in auto mode with the body fully manual F14,1/200 and ISO200 and focus by rocking the camera backwards / forwards .

Hi- Welcome to the frustration of Macro ! - To try and eek out a little more DOF you need to use a smaller aperture, these were taken at F4 & F5.5 - try around F11-F16. Try and stick to handholding and practice you will get there, Try using a diffused flash in auto mode with the body fully manual F14,1/200 and ISO200 and focus by rocking the camera backwards / forwards .

Thanks for the advice. The only flash i have is the onboard one. Why do you rock the camera backwards and forwards? i've seen that mentioned before but dont really understand, Thanks again, Heidi

Thanks for the advice. The only flash i have is the onboard one. Why do you rock the camera backwards and forwards? i've seen that mentioned before but dont really understand, Thanks again, Heidi

FIP sells a diffuser for the onboard flash.

You 'rock' the camera to focus the subject and get the very thin focus area in the right place. Focusing using the focus ring actually alters the magnification you get - maximum magnification is at the closest focusing distance and is usually shown as 1:1 in the distance scale window on the lens.

Here are some of my latest pics, i think/hope they are getting better, any comments...

057-Copy-1.jpg

CopyofFrog-1.jpg

Fly1.jpg

fly2.jpg

fly3.jpg

Good efforts indeed,are using the non is lens ?,
regards,
john.

Yep non is lens. I've been following the advice from earlier on in this thread about rocking to get the focus, also changed the aperture for more dof, now got to find something other than flies!!! I did cheat a bit and got a fig off of our tree, cut that in half and stood it on the wheelie bin and waited for the flies, and being on the bin it meant i had something to lean on to keep things steadier (y)

Yep non is lens. I've been following the advice from earlier on in this thread about rocking to get the focus, also changed the aperture for more dof, now got to find something other than flies!!! I did cheat a bit and got a fig off of our tree, cut that in half and stood it on the wheelie bin and waited for the flies, and being on the bin it meant i had something to lean on to keep things steadier (y)

Nothing wrong with improvisation,
Regards,
John

When I first got my Canon 100mm Macro I was appalled at how difficult it was for me to get a good handheld shot at 1:1 !

Then I discovered the secret: a tripod!

Seriously though a tripod really makes an incredible difference to the sharpness this lens is capable of.

While I know some people can hold their cameras rock steady in almost any situation I'm not one of them.

So consider getting a good tripod and/or using a high shutter speed.

And BTW - good luck - Macro photography is SOOOO addictive!

Back