New Monitor advice needed

• Thread starter Deleted member 59779
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 59779

I'm looking to purchasing a new computer in the very near future. looking currently at a Dell XPS 8930/40 . Ive looked at a few monitors online and am likely to purchase a 27 inch model but that is as far as I have got. Too much information been read and I am now overthinking what I really need. I use computer for surfing the web, photo editing . I want to be able to print some photos but this is for my own pleasure, to hang on the wall or enter camera club competitions. the monitor will not be required for gaming
Budget wise I would like to keep this as low as possible and was originally looking at spending up to £400 max. I could possibly go over this for the right monitor, but prefer not to if I can obtain something similar cheaper. Looking for ideas from the folk here on ideas for a monitor.
A little advance warning I am lusting a little on a BenQ SW2700PT which is over my budget and cannot decide whether this will be overkill for my need? Is there something similar with a cheaper price tag that would be suitable?
Ive gone back on the thread about 20 pages to read what others have previously said. I see that the Dell u2716D was mentioned, research has shown me that there is a newer version out. I am wondering whether this would be suitable..

Below are the specs for the computer. Thanks in advance all.

8930 model

9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 9700
Windows 10 Home 64bit
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX® 1660Ti 6GB GDDR6
8GB 1x8GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory
512GB PCIe M.2 Class 40 SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HDD

8940 model
10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10700 processor
Windows 10 Home 64bit
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6
16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2933Mhz
512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive + 2TB 7200RPM Hard Drive

I`m pretty happy with my 2719D.

Hi Mandy

I am one of those that always suggest the Dell 2716D whenever someone asks for recommendations for monitors. I have two and to be honest they are brilliant and well worth the money. Yes, they are an older monitor, but Dell are still making them even though there have been a couple of newer models released. Just because there is a newer model does not mean it is a better one.

The 2716 is a top notch monitor that sells for more than the others do for the simple reason it is a better model. Also comes with an advanced Swap out Warranty, even for one dead pixel, comes with a calibrated screen with a printout and as it is a premier colour model the display is as good as it gets.

I did a lot of research before I splashed out on my monitors and the 2716D came tops in about every department. The guy in the link below finally made my mind up.

LINKY

I`m pretty happy with my 2719D.
someone off another site recommended this also as they have it. I’d originally shortlisted it, until I started reading up on monitors....... still have it in mind.
How do you find the colours when printing?

Hi Mandy

I am one of those that always suggest the Dell 2716D whenever someone asks for recommendations for monitors. I have two and to be honest they are brilliant and well worth the money. Yes, they are an older monitor, but Dell are still making them even though there have been a couple of newer models released. Just because there is a newer model does not mean it is a better one.

The 2716 is a top notch monitor that sells for more than the others do for the simple reason it is a better model. Also comes with an advanced Swap out Warranty, even for one dead pixel, comes with a calibrated screen with a printout and as it is a premier colour model the display is as good as it gets.

I did a lot of research before I splashed out on my monitors and the 2716D came tops in about every department. The guy in the link below finally made my mind up.

LINKY
It looks a good monitor but is above what I wanted to pay. Haven’t ruled it,out yet. I think I need to stop reading and watching and just decide.

someone off another site recommended this also as they have it. I’d originally shortlisted it, until I started reading up on monitors....... still have it in mind.
How do you find the colours when printing?

The colours seem ok to me, but I mainly send away for prints, especially mono stuff. But generall when I do, I`m happy with the results (on a canon ip7250).

I've mentioned before that I'm really happy with my Benq EW3270U. It's a bit bigger than the SW2700 for a lot less money. IMO for all consumer uses it's a very nice bit of kit.

I use it in a multi monitor setup and the colours are noticeably different from my cheapo Dell 20s - a little warmer and more saturated. This will sound like heresy but I've never calibrated any of them on this PC - I just know that when it looks good on both monitors it will look good in print :) You can find them for about 350 online.

It looks a good monitor but is above what I wanted to pay. Haven’t ruled it,out yet. I think I need to stop reading and watching and just decide.
you could save a few quid on the 2060 GPU, that is way overkill for what you are using it for, its a gamers card, you do not need anything as powerful for Photo work never mind web and email stuff.

you could save a few quid on the 2060 GPU, that is way overkill for what you are using it for, its a gamers card, you do not need anything as powerful for Photo work never mind web and email stuff.

what graphics card would be suitable, anything else you can think of for me to get the price of computer down. Trying to future proof it whilst it being upgradeavle.:):banghead::banghead:. Many thanks

The
what graphics card would be suitable, anything else you can think of for me to get the price of computer down. Trying to future proof it whilst it being upgradeavle.:):banghead::banghead:. Many thanks
The nVidia GTX 1660 should be fine for photo editing, my home built pc now has the GTX 1050Ti 4GB VRAM and it does me for use with my 27inch BenQ and 10 bit settings.
For photo editing you don't need the bleeding edge pc that gamers demand.

On the first Dell you mentioned ~ spend the extra money on increasing RAM to 16gb and extra SSD and/or HDD's ;)

i have 2 x Dell U2718Q which is the slightly older model. They are lovely....

Review here:

Back