New Nikon DSLR - countdown to unveiling

Edit My Images
Yes
Click on the "clock" countdown on the Nikon homepage (18 days):

http://www.nikon.co.uk/

Anyone know what it's gonna be? 10.2MP.

The Japan website has a countdown on the main page for 20 days. If you read the text that appears over time, There's a "10.2M" in there some where.

http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/index.htm

we got an invite for the press launch for this...might be interesting!

I reckon it will be a replacement for the D70 pitched at the amateur user, would be keen to see the spec. D80 or D90 anyone?

Aye that was my first guess too, Hacker...
Something more directly priced against the 30D, perhaps?

edit : dpreview have put their own thoughts up here - they seem to think it's gonna be a D70 replacement, too.

Other thoughts :
Sounds like the Sony D200 sensor. Good news.
It's obviously not a pro body - sensor resolution aside it has a popup flash, and no buttons atop the command dial
I would guess at a polycarbonate body

hmmmn, but to replace the d70s and better it, it will end up mightly close to the d200.

10.2 mega pix...?
maybe better noise (we can only hope)
still 2 command dials
how many fps i wonder
better af?

that sounds like d200 spec to me?

It does sound mighty close to the D200, but I think a lot of the really sweet stuff from the D200 will be missing.

My speculation :
Build. Still bound to be nice, but not on par with D200
Viewfinder - may be better than D70's, may not, but I doubt it'll be as good as the D200's
AF - I should imagine it'll still be CAM900 ala D70, reserving the CAM2000 for the D200 and pro bodies.

That and other "small" things will I think make this a camera close to, but not quite on the same level as, the D200.

They seem to be advertising it as a compact body, too - maybe it's "compact for all the stuff we've crammed in" - but I don't like the sound of it! I want a bigger body! :eek:

here...

dslr.jpg

leveled in cs2. looks very similar to a d70 or d50. may not be the real camera of course :p

:O

You can make out a "0" on the camera badge!

But yeah, could just be a generic camera mockup >.<

Probably just a Sony A100 rebadged as a Nikon.

3fps etc

i cant go, so no, lol, i had to tell her before monday, so ive already broke the bad news to her...im on holiday

dammit, you could have gotten one of the resident Nikonians to go dressed up as you. Bit of makeup, sorted!

ah but impartial representation would have been far better, send a Nikonian along, and you would get chucked out for drooling on the kit, whereas i would just get thrown out for drooling at the promotions girls....

Matty you...impartial???:cautious:
You know right from wrong and that is why you own Canon:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
If only you could post pix of those promo girls!
Shame on you for not wanting to share them with us:LOL:

i would have taken my camera along for some snaps
that wouldnt have gone down well...300d at a nikon press launch

matty said:
i would have taken my camera along for some snaps
that wouldnt have gone down well...300d at a nikon press launch

Why not? All the press would be using Canons (y)

Be interesting to see what they unveil :)

The D50 takes SD cards remember, and I think most manufacturers are pushing that way so I don't think that's unreasonable.

I agree with the FPS though, can't see them introducing that on a midrange camera - along with the sensor upgrade that would be shooting themselves in the foot so to speak.

Sounds great, although it will be interesting to see of Ken Rockwell is right on all those predictions. Dropping the flash sync speed from 1/500 to 1/250 doesn't make any sense at all, as that is one feature where Nikon definitely triumphs over Canon.

evilowl said:
The D200 has flash sync of 1/250th

Really? I'm amazed when cheaper cameras manage 1/500 - an important consideration for action photographers.

Interesting, but not that appealing - especially as it appears to take SD cards. Looks like Nikon are trying to push this as a D50 upgrade route, and get those using a D70/s to jump up to a D200.

Ken seems to think it'll meter with manual lenses - at least in aperture priority. That's cool, cos' there's a lot to be said for Nikon's older optics!

My predicition:

D50 will be ditched
D70S will drop to D50 prices
D80 will be around current D70S prices
D90 will be launched at the same time or slightly later that will feature a slightly higher feature set and take CF cards

Back