New Nikon...worth an upgrade?

Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone :)

I've owned a D70 now for knocking on two years... having seen the new imminent D80, is it worth an upgrade? Personally I would prefer an upgrade to the D200, but part of me thinks just stick with the D70 and get some new glass...

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Joe T said:
Glass tbh

..Mmmm yep I reckon so. On a whim I quite fancy a zoom in the region of 400mm... but then again theres always the Nikon 18-200 VR, if I had a spare 500 notes :thinking:

Judging from everything that we've seen of the D80 it looks like a D200 in a smaller, less robust body.

So, ask yourself, does any of the following really appeal?

Better action tracking
larger, brighter viewfinder
bigger LCD

Those are the only big areas that are going to give you a notable change from your D70. There are of course lots of smaller changes too (hell, some things are a downgrade from the D70) - but those are the biggest ones that are most likely to effect your photography day-to-day.

Hoodi said:
Judging from everything that we've seen of the D80 it looks like a D200 in a smaller, less robust body.

So, ask yourself, does any of the following really appeal?

Better action tracking
bigger LCD

Those are the only big areas that are going to give you a notable change from your D70. There are of course lots of smaller changes too (hell, some things are a downgrade from the D70) - but those are the biggest ones that are most likely to effect your photography day-to-day.

..very good point, think I'll save my pennies for the D200!

DavidUK said:
..Ive already got the budget Nikon 70-300mm, quite fancy something bigger (y)
CIMG0104a.jpg

CIMG0106a.jpg

Big enough? ;)

DavidUK said:
..very good point, think I'll save my pennies for the D200!

The D200 still only offers the same sort of "upgrades" over the D70, albeit in a more robust body.

Hoodi said:
The D200 still only offers the same sort of "upgrades" over the D70, albeit in a more robust body.

I beg to differ - HUGELY! :eek:

They're are like chalk and cheese......

so, uhm... What else is such a whopping change from the D70?

Hoodi said:
so, uhm... What else is such a whopping change from the D70?
I think its a totally different camera. Almost everything is different iirc:

- the sensor: more MP, less noise
- the AF - taken from the D2X
- the body - much more robust, and bigger
- bigger LCD screen (and more pixels)
I also assume there will be more options in the menus etc

Sounds like a totally different camera to me. :)

Don't get me wrong, it is a "totally different" camera, but as listed above, the only things that I think are going to have a major impact on day-to-day stuff are :

Hoodi said:
Better action tracking
bigger LCD

And in the case of the D200, a more robust body.
I'm personally not fussed on the sensor - they could have used the D70 sensor for all I care, the resolution difference is too small for it to effect me in any way other than irritatingly larger files.
The AF system, although it has more AF points, only stretches out as "far" as the D70's - the extra AF points are all crammed into the middle of the finder. That isn't going to help much compositionally (I'd like to see AF points nearer the extremities) - but will aid tremendously in action tracking. Hence the above.

Sure, there are a zillion lilttle things, but none of those are going to have anywhere near the impact of the above.

It's also worth noting that the D200's AF is not taken directly from the high end F bodes // D2X. It's based on it, but aint the same thing.
They use CAM 2000, the D200 uses CAM 1000 - which basically means you're gonna get better lower light performance from the D2X. The D200 will be much the same as the D70 in this respect (D70 = CAM 900).

As much as the above may seem to slate the D200, I really like the camera. Hell, mine should be here in the next two days! All I'm saying is that it's not necessarily the best idea for everyone to be rushing out replacing their D70's with D80's or D200's, when you could be spending that dosh on some nicer glass. Cos' I think you're gonna get more from nicer glass than the new body.

When do you think this will actually be available "to the masses"?
It seems like the pefect upgrade for a D50 user like myself (?)
Maybe where would be a more relevant question - will the likes of Jessops W.E. even Dixons get the bulk of these (?) I suppose like everything - if you want one when they first come out you have to pay top dollar (?)
Wouldn't be keen on importing a camera (unlike a lens) from HK or wherever
Whaddya think? Paul (y)

Back