New release of Capture One

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
The new release came out yesterday and I have finally gone subscription.

The new licensing, arrangement, while keeping the perpetual license at the same price, reduced the subscription price slightly and it looks like the perpetual license discounts are at an end. This means I am paying slightly less than I was before (even after the discount) and will get all the new features as they are released.

However, this post isn't about the flagship new feature (AI masking) it's about speed. The difference in speed with this new release is astounding !

They have changed the way of building previews, and whereas rebuilding the previews in my catalogue used to take several hours, today it was less than half an hour. The previews now load instantly and although I didn't check, people are reporting that the new previews have halved their catalogue size.

The previews also appear sharper and less laggy when making adjustments. I need to check the latter, as it was only some adjustments I found laggy, and I can't remember what they were. But removing lag in adjustments is one of the improvements listed.

The AI masking also looks good, but for me, as I tend to use PS if I need complex masking, the star improvement looks like it;'s going to be speed, and I already found it faster than LR (except for building the catalogue).

Thanks for reminding me. I upgraded, as I seem to have a subscription already...

After having to work out myself how to transfer all my workspace customisations to 16 from 15, I wonder why it didn't nag me to change up.

Having said that, the speed of the preview generation is outstanding. That is going to really help when I have to go through 100s of photos quickly in a session.

Having said that, the speed of the preview generation is outstanding. That is going to really help when I have to go through 100s of photos quickly in a session.
It is an astonishing difference :)

I’ve just downloaded the latest version and the masking is a definite improvement!

Interestingly, it just stopped processing previews. I had to force quit (MacOS) to get it to behave properly.

Back