New Speedway season!

Name
Robyn
Edit My Images
No
:woot: A few from Ipswich's opening meeting - a challenge against the Lakeside Hammers. Looks like, with any luck, I should be able to spend a bit of time back on the centre-green this year. It's going to be quite a steep learning curve with the 70-200 I think - the weight is taking some getting used to!

9487Zibiht14-1.jpg

9410Markht1-1.jpg

9428Tobiht4-1.jpg

9447ZibiKasprzak-1.jpg

second one for me :)

Same for me! Reallly nice and sharp and great colours. External flash on auto....ETTL ?

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 30D
Image Date: 2007:03:15 20:03:38
Flash Used: Yes (Manual, red eye reduction mode)
Focal Length: 78.0mm
CCD Width: 4.62mm
Exposure Time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO equiv: 400
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

I know the flash was used...I read it in the exif. Just wondered if it was onboard or external.

Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, red-eye reduction mode

Any need for anti-redeye in this circumstance??? Ha! Looking closely at the riders...they have all actually got redeyes!! :D

ah, sorry janice, I just assumed it was external

Can external do anti redeye ??:shrug: I cant remember! :D

550EX Janice. The redeye is really frustrating - not a lot I can do to stop it though - I process the worst out.

It was quite funny on Thursday night. I had portrait stuff to do for the website so I wandered round the pits and got the bulk of that done. Then while they were finishing the parade of riders went off to my usual spot changed lenses and went to set up the camera.....and suddenly realised that after 5 months off I couldn't remember my usual settings! Had to go back on an old shot on the card to remind myself! :bonk:

I agree with you about the second shot being the best of the bunch too - that's Mark Loram who was our last British world champion back in 2000. Can't work out why I've got a slightly odd "floating shale" effect off his back wheel though. :thinking:

Can external do anti redeye ??:shrug: I cant remember! :D

Yes it can. Red eye reduction is pretty crappy though. Everyone knows about red eye now and it's a feature built into flash guns to try to combat it. The idea is the flash fires a small pre-flash which closes down the iris of the subject prior to the main flash going off. In practice, that pre-flash is responsible for lots of people being caught blinking from it when the main flash fires. The only real answer is still to get the flashgun as far away from the axis of the lens as possible - or bounce the flash where that's practicable

Red eye reduction is of limited use for these speedway riders I'd have thought, as the idea is for the subject to be looking at the camera so that the pre-flash closes their pupils down. I'd think the camera is the last thing they'd have time to look at. :)

Red eye reduction is of limited use for these speedway riders I'd have thought, as the idea is for the subject to be looking at the camera so that the pre-flash closes their pupils down. I'd think the camera is the last thing they'd have time to look at. :)

Well usually this is true, but I do rather like this one from last year....

9855Kimht10.jpg

:D

Must go to one of these! Never been to speedway.

LOL. Did he make it round the next bend? :D

Unusually for him, on that occasion he did, yes!

Must go to one of these! Never been to speedway.

Well Rye House (Hoddesdon) and Lakeside (as the name suggests, at Lakeside!) are your two nearest Robert. Arena is a nightmare for photos from the terraces but Rye House is rather good - got some good stuff there last season. If you do want to give it a go then hang on until the Summer though - not only is it warmer but there is also enough daylight to make it worth taking the camera!

#2 and #3 for me!

It really annoys me, you can use flash but I go to Supermoto races and the muppet marshalls there stop me. Grrr!!! I'll be arguing a lot more this year.

Carl.

#2 and #3 for me!

It really annoys me, you can use flash but I go to Supermoto races and the muppet marshalls there stop me. Grrr!!! I'll be arguing a lot more this year.

Carl.

You can only use flash at speedway if you're on the inside of the track Carl - if I'm stuck on the terraces it's bang up the ISO and hope for the best! Most tracks will not let you use onboard flash either - has to be external.

Back