'New' telephone lens?

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently use a Nikon 200-400 mm as my telephoto birding lens and had planned to upgrade this for a Nikon 500 mm f4, as it is proving to be a little short and does not play nicely with TCs. But the new FL version is too expensive and the recent price bump suggests that its price will not drop to RRP – 20% as previously. Given this is am considering a used 600 mm F4 and keeping the 200-400 mm as a smaller alternative (I can hand hold this for a useful amount of time) or a used 500 mm. The 600 mm will provide more reach at the cost of more weight. It basically comes down to 500 or 600 and I interested in any opinions from people who have used either or both?

I have the Sigma 120-300 with 1.4 tc so i chose the 600 f4 and 1.4tc fir reach. It is a big commitment though but made sense due to the other lens focal length. I had a 500 as well at one point which was easier to transport and hand hold but the 600 i have is sharper. Tough decision for you either way.

You can never have too much reach, so go for the 600mm. I had a similar dilemma and don't regret buying a 600mm despite the extra weight.

I too have thought of doing this, I thought of trading it in for a 500mm f4 vr (not the new version). Instead of changing I've picked up a d7200 crop body to give a effective 600mm view as a compromise. I probably have an advantage where I don't often photograph birds so it's a compromise I can make for having a zoom lens that's ideal for larger mammals.

Back