New to canon, 40d question?

Name
Ben Gilbert
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
Just moved over to Canon and am trying to get to grips with the menus and shooting modes, but as I dont have an instruction book, im a little screwed!!

I have the manual settings all sorted, Im just a little bemused by the shutter priority (tv?) Ive put in the shutter speed I want, (1/250), but every time I try to take a test shot, it changes, as if it were in auto mode?? as ive got pore light in my house it trys to change to 1/100 and lower, any idea why?

Also, in the viewfinder, in the bottom right corner, it shows the maximum burst, how do I change this? as mine is set to 6 constantly, and I could do with having a few more!!

Any help would be great. (y)

regarding the shutter speed there is a custom function setting that is a safety overide cant remember exactly what it is called but you should find it

the maximum burst is dependant on a cf setting as well some thing like noise reduction on high iso setting you could try resetting to factory settings

As Canon Bob said it is best to download the manual, but it is probably best to go into the menu and return everything to the factory default before you start.

Mate you about on the Mid Wales ? I'll more than happily set it up for you (y)

Regarding the shutter speeds ... be a man and use manual ;)

I have the manual settings all sorted, I'm just a little bemused by the shutter priority (tv?) Ive put in the shutter speed I want, (1/250), but every time I try to take a test shot, it changes, as if it were in auto mode?? as ive got pore light in my house it trys to change to 1/100 and lower, any idea why?
(y)

You sure it's on TV? I just tried it with mine, and if I set the speed too high for the available light, the aperture setting just blinks in a 'you need to change me signal'.

I think you must have the AV selected, pretty sure once you set the TV it does not change it for you irrespective.

Hope you enjoy the camera, it's fantastic!

Cheers guys, only got it yesterday, so its a bit different to my Nikon!! I will download it and see what it says.:LOL: Ry, im not out on the mid wales mate, got to work, next event for me is the quinton. I usually use manual anyway, but its nice to use shutter priority now and again in changing light ect.

Cheers guys, only got it yesterday, so its a bit different to my Nikon!! I will download it and see what it says.:LOL: Ry, im not out on the mid wales mate, got to work, next event for me is the quinton. I usually use manual anyway, but its nice to use shutter priority now and again in changing light ect.

Ah okay mate :) catch up with you soon ! doubt we'll be in the same places on the Quinton ;) lol

You sure it's on TV? I just tried it with mine, and if I set the speed too high for the available light, the aperture setting just blinks in a 'you need to change me signal'.

I think you must have the AV selected, pretty sure once you set the TV it does not change it for you irrespective.

Hope you enjoy the camera, it's fantastic!

Its deffo on the tv function, all lined up with the little silver line behind the flash bracket. It does the same on av aswell which I would expect. Any other ideas? I just tried to reset, it comes up as busy, and seems to reset, but it is still the same

Ignore that last reply, ive done a reset and deleted the custom settings added into the camera, and all is well now. Cheers guys (y)

Its deffo on the tv function, all lined up with the little silver line behind the flash bracket. It does the same on av aswell which I would expect. Any other ideas? I just tried to reset, it comes up as busy, and seems to reset, but it is still the same

Not really I'm afraid - hope it's some random setting and not a fault - just doesn't make sense on the TV setting - hopefully someone else will have an idea - if no might be worth a trip back to the shop....

Not really I'm afraid - hope it's some random setting and not a fault - just doesn't make sense on the TV setting - hopefully someone else will have an idea - if no might be worth a trip back to the shop....

See 2 posts above this!! :LOL:(y)

Back