New to printing, Help please

Name
Dougie
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm currently sorting my way though 100 plus images with the hope that I'll get one which I'm happy with in order to get it printed for a friend. I've never had anything printed before and wondered if you have any tips or advice in getting the best possible result. I reckon it'll be around 15x10 or maybe the next size up.

Also, how do I make sure that my print will be the same colours as my oldish monitor. Should I get a small print done first?:shrug: Oh and how much roughly will it cost for a one off print?
Thanks in advance.

the odds are - unless you have profiled your monitor - don't do anything to the files - as your "improvements" will probably not help.... and the act of editing with Photoshop etc will destroy the exif data many labs use to correct your files...

the odds are - unless you have profiled your monitor - don't do anything to the files - as your "improvements" will probably not help.... and the act of editing with Photoshop etc will destroy the exif data many labs use to correct your files...

Mmmm, well I shoot RAW and do process in order to get the best from them usually for posting to web. Also these images need some processing for artistic effect so I'll have to do the best I can. There must be some way of making sure I get a close reproduction?:shrug:

Lots of people 'Calibrate' the monitor. Google it (calibrate monitor) to see what options you have

Lots of people 'Calibrate' the monitor. Google it (calibrate monitor) to see what options you have

The more I read the more confused I get :bonk:

Try dscolourlabs they have a calibration image to try on your screen.

I brought up the image but I don't know what to do with it.:shrug:

Think I'll buy a new monitor. Surely that should be pretty accurate? This old Dell is getting on a bit. Good excuse to buy a new toy?;)

Just because a monitor is new doesn't mean it will be calibrated to how you want it.

Just because a monitor is new doesn't mean it will be calibrated to how you want it.

How can I show the wife this thread now. You've gone and spoilt it. :bang:;) Seriously, yes I understand a new monitor my not be totally accurate but it's more likely to be so than this 8-9 year old Dell, no?

buy a calibrator - or borrow one - you'll find most camera clubs have one. How can anyone do anything with a RAW file unless you

A - have either a control image shot and work by the numbers
B - only ever look at the photo on your screen

Now if your images are only there to be seen on facebook etc it doesn't really matter - but if you care how photographers see it (awards/competitions) you can assume they have calibrated monitors.

Some labs have auto correction software - hence my comment about not adjusting the file. Now some will manually correct - but how do you know the person printing it knows what your intent was?

buy a calibrator - or borrow one - you'll find most camera clubs have one. How can anyone do anything with a RAW file unless you

A - have either a control image shot and work by the numbers
B - only ever look at the photo on your screen

Now if your images are only there to be seen on facebook etc it doesn't really matter - but if you care how photographers see it (awards/competitions) you can assume they have calibrated monitors.

Some labs have auto correction software - hence my comment about not adjusting the file. Now some will manually correct - but how do you know the person printing it knows what your intent was?

Well as I said on the first post, I know nothing about preparing for print and that's why I'm asking now. I now know I need to calibrate my monitor before I can go any further. Or get a small print done to see how it turns out compared to my monitor. The former being the most reliable I suppose.(y) I still think I'll be ordering a new monitor shortly though;)

If/when you are buying a new monitor may I respectfully suggest that you buy one that is capable of adjustments so that it can be properly calibrated.
I only mention this because I made a mistake - you cant properly calibrate an "off the shelf" monitor from one of the big chain stores.
Buying 1 by mistake and then having to get a "proper" one is the most expensive option.

If/when you are buying a new monitor may I respectfully suggest that you buy one that is capable of adjustments so that it can be properly calibrated.
I only mention this because I made a mistake - you cant properly calibrate an "off the shelf" monitor from one of the big chain stores.
Buying 1 by mistake and then having to get a "proper" one is the most expensive option.

Very good point (y)

Back