New to this

Edit My Images
Yes
Any advice for a teenager who is taking photography as an option at school, wants a camera of her own, as her mum i have no idead, any advice would be welcome :thinking::thinking:

Well it depends what type of camera you are after, point and shoot or a DSLR?
Point and shoot is just your basic everyday camera and is totally automatic, a DSLR allows changeable lenses and almost any setting on it can be manually adjusted.
A good first DSLR is probably the Nikon D40, its also fairly cheap.

As above I would of thought a basic digital SLR would do the trick. As a real beginner I would personally keep the budget as low as possible and have a look around the For Sale section on this forum and Ebay and try and pick up something like a Nikon D50 or Canon 350d. These are both great beginners cameras which I would imagine could be had for around the £150 mark now (with a basic kit lens) and give all the manual features which I would imagine would be covered on an AS (?) course.

It may be worthwhile to have a chat with the tutor though and see what they recommend.

I think a level photography needs film work too so either a film body that matches the dslr or just another film body and lens

Hi

I've not done A-Level photography but in similar posts I've seen people suggest talking to the tutor (please don't take that in a condescending way).

It may be that they have some lenses \ flashes etc that sudents can borrow, and if so it would make sense to get a camera body which could fit some of these.

I believe lots of people do still learn on film, and if so there are plenty of good cheapish film cameras and lenses around second hand, so definately check if the camera should be digital \ film or either.

Good luck

Al

Think budget will be £200 - £300 she has started a cours with school think they are using Fuji

Thanks will pass advice on as she is 15 still loads of time,only been on option a few months will get her to ask tutor and look on sale pages, they are taking photos and looking at diferent styles people use etc thank you for your help(y)

On that budget, something like the Canon 300D (£135 from MPB photographic) Toothie's 350D if that's still available (criminally underpriced in the classifieds here) or a 350D or 400D off eBay. Kit lens £30 or £35 for the non-IS version, £100 or £135 (??) for the IS version.

i would get an slr middle of the road so you dont outgrow it too quickly costing you more money but dont have the cheapest around and find it restrictive

something like a sony a700, canon 30/40d, pentax k10/20d etc

or Samsung gx10/20 which is basically a pentax renamed

Back