new to video, help needed please..

Edit My Images
Yes
Never owned or used a camcorder before but as we are fresh back from a few days in beautiful yorkshire the wife wants to try the video route.
So, can anyone suggest something for a newbie who wants to take landscape video and possibly some home footage too, budget is about £500ish could probably go higher..

TIA

Never owned or used a camcorder before but as we are fresh back from a few days in beautiful yorkshire the wife wants to try the video route.
So, can anyone suggest something for a newbie who wants to take landscape video and possibly some home footage too, budget is about £500ish could probably go higher..

TIA

One idea could be to get another canon dslr (I see in your signature you have 350D) with video capabilities. You could get a 550D, 600D for a couple of hundred pound second hand, both of which are great for video, and will allow you to use your current lenses, and one other big plus point is that you will also have another camera when you want to go out taking stills :)

Hope this helps.

Ben

The dslr route would take up more money with add ons extras but the canon hfg10 and the x900 Panasonic are wonderful camcorders. I even think the hfg10 has a new upgrade with a wider angle, maybe check those put, good luck

The dslr route would take up more money with add ons extras but the canon hfg10 and the x900 Panasonic are wonderful camcorders. I even think the hfg10 has a new upgrade with a wider angle, maybe check those put, good luck

The dslr route would cost more in added extras? Ok maybe a mic if you need better sound but a hfg10 is around £750, so I think there dslr will definitely be the cheaper option, especially as the OP already has a canon and lenses. Plus as I said it will take wonderful stills too.

Yes agree, but the Panasonic just as good at £495. Point Nd shoot with a wide angle and terrific hd footage.

I agree with Ben. If you didn't already have lenses I'd have said something similar to the Panasonic seeing as the OP doesn't seem to bothered about a pro/manual body/results?

But seeing as you may already have lenses I'd definitely look at getting a 550D/600D. Can pick up a 600D brand new for just over £300, then pick up a mic for £100 and you'll have a camera that can shoot better video than the x900.

I have a Panasonic HC-X900M excellent camcorder has internal memory and SD card slot so stills in on and video on other in which ever combination. spec can be found on internet. strongly recommed a lightweight tripod with fluid head to keep the camcorder steady. I now have a Velbon C-400 which is ideal. Amazon price for camcorder £600 as a guide for you. Also fits in trouser pocket if needed to.

[youtube]V0uQ7_Tz10I[/youtube]

Video zoom

[youtube]KqqMOyfls4s[/youtube]

close up video

[youtube]QsmjitO7Fac[/youtube]

on board ship indoors example

[youtube]vD8BYmx4vIs[/youtube]

Taken with this camera hand held (note the sound quality as well). Video record time isn't limited as on a DSLR video clip. no delay on autofocus either and stills are 16mp

Example of still photo taken with same camcorder

m1190001copy.JPG

Far better to see what a camcorder can do against talking about it. hope this helps

Realspeed

Last edited:
Back