New to wildlife photography, where best to start and how to improve

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

As per the title really, always liked wildlife, but have never really photographed a lot until before christmas when I got myself a new lens (300 F4 + 1.4x) to go on my 7d. I primarily shoot sport/landscape/people etc, so the lens was a dual purpose choice for sport and wildlife.

Anyway, I have been to a few bird hides, got a few pictures of some birds such as nuthatches and shot deer and birds on ponds etc.

I would really love to shoot things like hares, kingfishers, owls, gannets etc etc....I realise there are so many to choose from. I am based in Nottingham to I have the option of going to a local reserve called Attenborough and a but further afield is a place called Frampton Marsh which is supposed to be good. Just looking for tips really so I can get out shooting and get good shots and improve, not just in my ability to shoot wildlife but also to increase my knowledge of it.

Thanks in advance.

The best bit of advice is to get to eye level it makes a big difference to the image. There is plenty of advice on here about wildlife.

For hares it's a case of looking in the right fields (arable land near woodland). E may be so few reserves that have hares. Gannets is easy as Bempton is the closest place for you. Puffins are in the Farne Islands and Skomer. Kingfishers are a little bit more difficult as they are protected and you need a licence to be near a nest or disturb them. Owls can be seen in various places, Norfolk has lots of barn owls. There was a good thread recently about photographing near owl nests with very good advice. The Peak District isn't too far away and there are a fair few red grouse on the moors and some mountain hares somewhere there too.

It's probably best to try concentrate on a couple of species rather than chase every species. It allows you to study their behaviour and get better images.

The best bit of advice is to get to eye level it makes a big difference to the image. There is plenty of advice on here about wildlife.

For hares it's a case of looking in the right fields (arable land near woodland). E may be so few reserves that have hares. Gannets is easy as Bempton is the closest place for you. Puffins are in the Farne Islands and Skomer. Kingfishers are a little bit more difficult as they are protected and you need a licence to be near a nest or disturb them. Owls can be seen in various places, Norfolk has lots of barn owls. There was a good thread recently about photographing near owl nests with very good advice. The Peak District isn't too far away and there are a fair few red grouse on the moors and some mountain hares somewhere there too.

It's probably best to try concentrate on a couple of species rather than chase every species. It allows you to study their behaviour and get better images.

Thanks Rob, I think thats very sound advice indeed. Totally agree on the eye level too, makes the world of difference.

Bempton and the Farnes/Skomer is something I'm looking into for this year.

Ultimately it's fieldcraft and understanding animals that makes or breaks a wildlife photographer. So I'd echo Rob's comments about not trying to shoot everything immediately but focusing on one or two projects. That could be a particular species or a particular place, but spend the time to develop an understanding of your subject. Of course, Puffins are incredibly obliging subjects which makes them great for the soul when other stuff isn't going to plan! There's also an increasing number of commercial photography hides, and many pros run workshops and trips. These are rarely cheap, but they can be useful places to learn and/or network with other photographers.

And get used to laying down in the mud.

Best thing I did early on was spend a day with a wildlife pro - taught me loads about the camera settings, some fieldcraft and ideas for locations too.

All good advice on here. I'd add a few observations of my own:
a) enjoy being out. There will be days when you come back with no shots. Remember to put the camera down occasionally and just enjoy the world.
b) be ready. I left my camera in a hide, went for a pee and almost trod on an otter and her kitts. Now my camera stays with me, always.
c) be adaptable. You may go out looking for hares and come across deer instead. Change your plans to what's out there.
d) get out often. The more you are out, the better your chances.
e) Talk to people ! I get no end of tips from farmers, locals who see me with a camera, people I bump into.
f) don't turn it into trainspotting. If you're just bagging species off a list, your pictures will show it and be soulless. I think it's a good month if I get one good picture.

It's the most frustrating and rewarding hobby in the world - welcome.

e) Talk to people ! I get no end of tips from farmers, locals who see me with a camera, people I bump into.
I'll echo this.

Whilst it's great to come across some bird/wildlife randomly, certainly with owls, I really struggled, I'd drive around to an area I thought would be good for ages to no avail and it became very disheartening, repeatedly not coming back with anything is very frustrating.
I then got a 'heads up' on a site...
Once you 'know' they're around, and even if on one day you don't get to see them, when you return you'll see them, and learn about them...
then you'll speak to the dog walkers, farm owners, other photographers which will give you tips on other sites.

So far this year I now have 4 little owl sites to choose from, 2 barn owl sites and a peregrine site!! - and all (without exception) were given to me by speaking to people.

As for other tips - I bought a lightweight collapsible stool from Dunelm which I use as a seat whilst sat for hours :D

Last edited:
Stupid question alert, ok, talking to dog walkers or whatever is easy as you just see them out and about. But how did/do you make contact with farmers or land owners?

Good tip on the stool, I will grab myself one of those!

Making contact with farmers? See a guy on a tractor and wave. Ask the guy in the road "Do you know who owns that field?" Or knock on the farmhouse door. BE POLITE - they are busy folk. A very small number will tell you to F*** off, but most are incredibly helpful and friendly. One tip - I had some business cards made up, with my pictures on front and back. I give them out: it makes me look professional and the farmers can check my stuff out and see that I'm genuine. The card is like a magic key - I have access to large swathes of Wiltshire now.
Other place to contact is the local wildlife trust. They are often very happy to help with suggested locations. Plus look for local species-specific interest groups: the local bat group will tell you where to find bats, the local Hawk and owl group... well, you can see how it goes. Once they know you are serious and sensible, they will often help out. Expect some defensiveness asking about hares and badgers - too may sickos out there want to find out where they are to put dogs onto them.

Stupid question alert, ok, talking to dog walkers or whatever is easy as you just see them out and about. But how did/do you make contact with farmers or land owners?

Knock on the door or just speak to them if they are outside, explain what you are doing, maybe even take some prints so they can see what you want to do. The farmers I speak to are fine and even let me drive over the land, but don`t make a mess, leave gates as you find them and take all your litter home. They know the land well and will know what lives where, but build up the trust slowly,don`t go in all guns blazing, once you have that trust,it is amazing how friendly a lot of farmers are.

Also:

G. Have the camera READY to use before you leave your vehicle....
H. Good gloves & hat & footwear always - any fool can be cold...your pictures will suffer for it.
I. Exposure protection is everything - it allows you to sit still for hours without compremising your pictures.
J. Go LOCAL - closer it is, the more often you will visit & learn patterns.
K. Be friendly, the guy walking his dog every day may then tell you about the otter family just on the other side of the lake (or in his back GARDEN....)

Thankyou Ade and Pete! Much appreciated.
No problem bud. Enjoy it and don't get downhearted if you have crap days, we all have them.

Well, thought it was appropriate to add this experience in here - sometimes speaking to the farmers doesn't always help...
Was out checking out a new Little Owl site this afternoon, after first speaking with the land owner and being told "knock yourself out mate, it's a public right of way".
I was stood for probably an hour and a half, and just spotted a buzzard on a post about 300yards away, when I hear "Oi, what are you doing?" (from a chap walking towards me from the farm with a newfoundland :| ) - the fact I'm stood there with a 6ft tripod and 3ft lens would have been obvious, so I told him, I was looking for owls, but saw a buzzard etc etc...
He then said "you can't come down here", to which I replied that I'd spoken to the farmer and it was actually a public right of way, he then replied "I lock the gate at 7, get out before then".
Talk about hostile :eek:

Since it is a through-route, I'll approach from the other direction next time, as it is a site I'd like to return to.

Anyway, that was my first 'negative' approach from anyone, but nevertheless, won't let it stop me.

Oh also forgot - Shoot in RAW....

2 reasons - allows more flexibility & also it you get that shot of the century you can prove it's not photshopped...

Last edited:
Well, thought it was appropriate to add this experience in here - sometimes speaking to the farmers doesn't always help...

I have one like that (b*****d has nesting barn owls, too), but the other 99.9% have been friendly as can be. One has given me complete run of his farm, day or night. But you have to respect it and the land. One farmer was really sour because he'd had a bad experienced of a togger who left his gates open and litter behind. When he found out I wasn't like that he was fine. Remember - it's your hobby but their livelihood.

Always shoot in Raw Pete for exactly the reasons you state. Been doing so since I began photography.

I guess unfortunately Gavin, there is always one, or two, that will be like that, for whatever reason, most likely the reason that deeley_s stated no doubt. Always one fool that spoils it for the rest of us folk who have and will show respect to people.

Set yourself a local patch somewhere close to home,this allows ample time to asses whats about which inturn allows some photos.
GEORGE.

I'm new at it myself but have found it helpful talking to various people, dog walkers, other photographers in fact I got some land to go on up north Yorkshire just by talking to a woman serving me at a burger van, it turned out her and her partner had some land up there and they have a resident little owl, stoat and a kestrel hunts around the area close by, they have seen hares too so happy days, probably best advice I could give you is get out there s much as you can and early too :)

I am planning on the next couple of days to pop along to a local site 20 mins away where I am told there is at least one SEO. Really quite excited and looking forward to it. One of my mates has been already and got a couple of shots. Will see what I can manage when I go.

A decent pair of binoculars will help, also a monopod,i have only just started doing bird/wildlife, i have found early on be alert to your surroundings, and be regualer at sites, and bring up in conversation to people you know what you are doing, you will be surprised at what they have seen or know themselves:)

Yeah thats a good call, not got any binoculars to be fair, always use a monopod, takes the weight off if nothing else :)

Mate you already have some words on actually getting to find said farmer,once you have contact to add to stuff already here ask if he has stock show an interest in the sheep or cattle..Years back a farmer advised me that if I saw a sheep on it's back to get to him quick,one day at stupid oclock in the morning he had me banging on his door after having run fields . that little act meant that guy told all his farmer mates about the nutter who wanted to see ickle aminals he actually got me so much permission I felt I had acces to half of cornwall . Also especially on the smaller farms like we had in cornwall offer to give 'em a hand maybe with harvest. Silly little acts of kindness,I see it as gratitude,can have a profound effect.These guys oft know each other they can't be everywhere
having trusted "eyes" about can useful to them, word spreads;)!!
all the luck

Stu

Be Alert very alert wildlife are smarter than us humans and have a six sense that much im sure, i was sat in my hide tonight waiting for a barn owl to turn up where he/she usually roosts, then i hear a very subtle/quite screech and there it was sat above me, i didn't even know it was there until the screech, even tho i never got a shot the memory of this is ever lasting, get a good seat i brought this one Quake All-Terrain Seat its great, most of all enjoy what your doing. All the best

Be Alert very alert wildlife are smarter than us humans and have a six sense that much im sure, i was sat in my hide tonight waiting for a barn owl to turn up where he/she usually roosts, then i hear a very subtle/quite screech and there it was sat above me, i didn't even know it was there until the screech, even tho i never got a shot the memory of this is ever lasting, get a good seat i brought this one Quake All-Terrain Seat its great, most of all enjoy what your doing. All the best

Just had a look at that, looks interesting. Can I ask where you bought it as it seems bring up quite a few US sellers.

Just had a look at that, looks interesting. Can I ask where you bought it as it seems bring up quite a few US sellers.

I found that Google the friend ;) It is aimed (no pun intended at the shooting & hunting community)

Firstly I found this forum where the admin is buying them in in 'bulk' to sell on it seems see post #176 on this page where in Sept 2015 he says they are still available.................http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/220178-bergara-stag-folding-shooting-seat-l67/page-9 see the OP on page one of that thread.

Then I found a retail outlet here http://www.allcocksoutdoorstore.co.uk/quake-all-terrain-swivel-seat but the price is much higher ~ not clear why such a big difference but....?

And it does sound like a very comfortable seat.

Back