new toy cant work it heeeeeeeeeeeelp

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all desperatly need help with my new toy. I have just got a Advent 4211B notebook for the sole use of my photography and internet. The problem I'm having is that I can't connect it to the internet. I run AOL broadband at home and I'm struggling to figure out how to get the AOL programme on the netbook as it has no disc drive, any help would be much appreciated.

wireless connection, have another laptop (dell) which is the main computer for the missus, it picks up the router but without an AOL programme on the notebook it cant connect :shrug: :bang:

You should be able to just type in the passkey, into you computer.
The passkey is normally located on the bottom or the back of your router. Once you are connected, download the software.

yeah you won't need the AOL software which can only be a good thing installed to get online, just hook upto the router

use the internet explore to download AOL 9.0 then when you install this programme should give you options along the lines of existing member or non the how you are updating the account etc (adding to computer, updting version)

recently did this on another laptop and worked a treat

You should be able to just type in the passkey, into you computer.
The passkey is normally located on the bottom or the back of your router. Once you are connected, download the software

Thats what I thought but its not wanting to work like that :bang:

Have you get an ethernet cable.

looks like.
rj45_cable_grey.jpg

Note the 8 grooves in the bottom.

If you are on the network, share the cd drive on the other laptop - how we manage with 'her' netbook.

Chris

How do you share a cd drive????

Have you get an ethernet cable.

Yes I have an ethernet cable

Try plugging your new toy in to the router.
Please tell my your new toy has an network card.

What router are you using for your AOL connection?

Try plugging your new toy in to the router.
Please tell my your new toy has an network card

Tried plugging into router, I assume it has a network card I told them what I wanted fom a notebook and said that it came with everything I needed.

What router are you using for your AOL connection?

Its thomson st585 if that helps

I hate being dumb:LOL:

Check your encryption method is the same on router and netbook. I had a similar problem a little while ago whereas I tried to get a netbook using WEP to connect to a router using WPA. It would recognise the router but no internet.

Tried plugging into router, I assume it has a network card I told them what I wanted fom a notebook and said that it came with everything I needed.

Its thomson st585 if that helps

I hate being dumb:LOL:

Looking at the spec for this netbook you should have one lan port on your new "toy", what operating system are you using on the other system which is already connected to the web?

Have you got a connection from the NT (new toy) to the router?

Neil_G has got a very good point. Please do not install the AOL software.

please dont install the AOL software. its a big old bloated mess.

can you see any wireless networks? is the wireless turned on?

Wireless is on it picks up router but no internet, I thought I would need to install aol programme so it would work!!

Looking at the spec for this netbook you should have one lan port on your new "toy", what operating system are you using on the other system which is already connected to the web

Its got vista home premium on and the new one is xp

so the icon down by the clock has changed from a red X to 2 monitors but does not have the globe in front?

edit - sorry you say the new one has xp.. so youve connected to the right wireless network entered your passkey and it says connected. so what does it say when you try and access google in IE?

Wireless is on it picks up router but no internet, I thought I would need to install aol programme so it would work!!

Its got vista home premium on and the new one is xp

Do you know the user name an password used for AOL connection?

if so you should be able to enter these into internet explorer on the netbook and connect to the web.

Do you have wep or other security set up on the router?

I have picked up the router on the new one it has asked for a network key, I have typed in the key as it is on the back of router case sensitive etc, it then recognises the router but spends all its time searching for internet but with no luck

Go into the wireless settings on the netbook and change the encyption type to WPA-PSK then try again

I have picked up the router on the new one it has asked for a network key, I have typed in the key as it is on the back of router case sensitive etc, it then recognises the router but spends all its time searching for internet but with no luck

so when you click on the internet explorer icon you get a page not found or a message that a connection could not be made?

On the wireless network page where it lists the availible networks it is just saying 'Acquiring network address' but doesn't get any further than that :bang:

so when you click on the internet explorer icon you get a page not found or a message that a connection could not be made?

yeah that is correct

Has it got a Intel wireless card?
If it has got a Intel card that might be your problem.

I've tried looking the info up on the web but PCWorld are less than help full.

yeah that is correct

Double click on the internet explorer icon when the page opens and will not display the internet go to the top of the page click on tools menu then click on internet options and then click on connections and click on the set up button and follow the steps, from there it should ask for all the information it needs to connect to the web.

Is the router connected to the main computer? If so you may need to change the settings on the router, I had this problem and after changing the settings everything started working.

Cheers for the help but I can only take so much the dam thing can go back to the shop its a pain in the ass I don't need.

Back