New tripod/head

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I want to get a new tripod and head as the lenses and skills I’ve acquired have outgrown my Manfrotto 718B. The tripod doesn't go to ground level which is starting to become a pain! I've pretty much decided to go for the 322RC2 grip action ball head with either the Manfrotto 190xprob or the 055xprob. Most of the lenses I have no worries about but I have recently bought the Tamron 200-500mm which pushes the 718b beyond it’s capabilities. I total up the combined weight of everything to be around 3kg and plan to get a flash that could make it heavier still. The 190 will carry 5kg and the 055 7kg. Now do I go for the more expensive but heavier (sturdier) 055 or the less expensive and lighter 190. I can go on long walks so wondering if I actually need the extra quality and more importantly the extra weight of the 055?

Another reason for me to go for the 055 over the 190 could be that it leaves me with more scope to grow into if I buy heavier lenses in the future, but i have no plans to do that as yet. In short what am I getting for the extra money that will justify me carrying the extra weight?

As a side issue, will the Tamron 200-500mm be ok on the 322RC2 ball head, I appreciate it'll probably struggle if I moved the position of the grip handle but if it's set to the right (how it's originally set) will it be ok?

Your help is appreciated.

You should be okay with the 322RC2. It has a maximum load of 5kg.

What do you tend to shoot with the Tamron 200-500mm? If its wildlife or sport (Or anything else that moves for that matter) I wouldn't recommend the 322RC2. Ive got one, and while its a great head for landscapes and is very versatile, its rubbish for moving targets as you can't lock it open. Id also avoid the 190XProB. Again ive got one, and again its very versatile for general use, but for long lens use it doesn't extend tall enough. To get it up to decent eye level (Im 6'2") you have to extend the centre column which greatly reduces its stability. So depending on what you shoot, you might be better off with an 055 and a decent ball head. Just my 2p. :)

In the main, i'm using the Canon EF-S 60mm macro lens Sigma 10-20mm, I would like to get more wildlife and if I do I would assume I'd have to get closer to eye level, I can't think of too much wildlife where I will need to fully extend the tripod? The only place I've found myself regularly using the Tamron is at Slimbridge wilfowl trust, where I rarely extend the tripod too far currently. Your advice has made me think though from an angle I'd not thought of so thanks for that.

I think I'm sold on the 322RC2 thinking that if i don't get on with it for some things i can always go for something else later in the year to accomodate, but as i type that sounds a bit dumb money wise!! I think it'd be ideal for macro photography?

I could always go for the heavier model and invest in a monopod for the long walks or can anyone suggest a tripod that can hold some weight, get down to ground level, have the boom type centre column but doesn't weigh a tonne that isn't ridiculously priced?

The more I think about it the more i can't make up my mind, maybe i should just take the plunge and hope the water's warm!!!!

I think it'd be ideal for macro photography?

Sorry to ruin your plan here. :p But nope, its far from ideal for macro work. Its simply not accurate enough. While its very quick to adjust, it is also very hard to adjust with fine incements and has a dendancy to droop by a tiny amount. This is not normally a problem, but when working at 1:1 magnification its really annoying. For my ideal macro setup id be looking to use a geared 3 way head with macro adjustments rails. How versatile this is for the other type of shots you do I don't know. It would also come in at quite a price. Unfortunately there is no 'perfect' tripod setup for all types of photography. but from my point of view, my ideal setups would be; Wildlife - Columnless and stiff tripod with gimbal head. Macro - Colunless tripod that goes right down to the ground with a geared 3 way head and macro adjustment rails. Landscapes - Any decent and tall tripod with a grip head (or geared 3 way head). General use - A decent tall tripod with a coloumn and a grip head. So to summarize; Yeah by all means get a 190XProB and 322RC2 head as it is a very versatile setup, but don't expect it to be adaptable to all situations. Hope that helps. :)

Thanks for the invaluable advice and saving me a few bob, you truly are the messiah!!

However i'm still no nearer deciding what i want, but i now know what i don't want!

I think i'm gonna save my cash and spend a little more when i get paid at the end of the month, invest in something for more than the next couple of yrs until I'll want something else!

With that in mind people, any suggestions on a decent tripod and head combo, money is obviously an issue but i'm open to most ideas!

For anyone else having the same problems as me, trying to move on to the next level tripod wise, take a couple of minutes reading the below link, it's provided me with so much to chew over and a lot of money saved in the future Some great ideas!

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Ta

cloughie89

I have a Manfrotto 455 tripod (same as the current 055) and a 141RC head. The legs weigh about 2.5 kilos and the head and centre column attached bring to total to about 3.5kg.

I chose this height and weight very deliberately over the 190 as I know from experience that it is better to have the height you need with the legs extended to max but the centre column at min. That way you can extend that column a little if you are on a very steep slope or have one leg dropping off the edge of a rock and the other two are shortened to compensate...if that makes sense?

I took a 190 on a 5 week trip around Borneo because it was lighter and fantastic to carry but I needed the column half way up just to see in the camera without stooping. Once you meet some uneven ground you quickly run out of height.

With that said I am considering changing to the 190xprob because I thought it gives the best solution to height weight and I like the fact that it is black and has leg warmers! Mine is silver and cold to hold in winter.

The head I use is a 3 way (non geared) with quick release plate. I can't fault it. Stays put, takes large format cameras and you can release one axis without affecting any others, unlike a ball type. I also own a small ball and socket head which never gets used. I would consider getting the magnesium version as it is lighter, thats all.

I would also get a strap for your tripod, as this makes it much easier to carry for any distance and frees up your hands.

Bottom line is don't skimp here, and don't be tempted by cheaper, lighter, too many features.
HTH

Back