New Walkabout Lens advice

Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently sold my D70 and I plan on buying a D80 very soon. I've considered getting a D200, but I'd rather put the extra cash towards a lens.

My 18-70mm went with my D70 unfortnately and I'm now left with only my Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro (which I love). I mostly take portrait shots (which my 50 is good for, although long term I'd like something more like a faster 30mm prime), but I could do with another 'walkabout' lens for now.

I've done the 18-70mm and I'd like to try something different, with a longer range, so far I've got my eye on the Sigma and Tamron 18-200mm options (I'd love the Nikon version but that's way over budget). Does anyone have any opinion on either of these?

I'm also seriously considering the Nikon 55-200mm VR. It's not very wide, but I don't take many landscape shots at the moment (more portraits and scenery, rather than full on landscapes), and I'd always like the option of getting something like the sigma 10-20mm in year or so, should I be tempted with that style of photography.

What recommendations do people have, considering the type of shots I'll be taking and that I've got a limited budget of about £200. Sigma/Tamron 18-200? Nikon 55-200 VR? Or something else?

I'd love to hear your opinions.

no idea at all. but i would prob go for a sigma 24-70 f2.8 i think it is, then look at the 70-200 when money allowed and the sigma 10-20 if you want wide angle

What's an HSM motor?

Thanks for the info. I've spent a lot of time looking in to lenses and I think, given the way I use my camera I'd be better spending my money on a lens like the sigma 10-20, and using any leftover cash to buy a more reasonably priced zoom, maybe not even a superzoom.

Better that than spend the majority of my cash on a Nikon 18-200 VR, I'm sure I'll get much more enjoyment this way around.

So sigma 10-20 + budget walkabout here I come!

SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD PLAN(y) DONT FORGET TO POST THE PICTURES

Have a look at the tamron 18-200 non stabilized lens I have just sold one as I have the nikon now but it is a very good lens and when I bought that one the build quality was better than the sigma.

Should be able to get one around the two hundred mark.

Shutterman

What's an HSM motor?

Thanks for the info. I've spent a lot of time looking in to lenses and I think, given the way I use my camera I'd be better spending my money on a lens like the sigma 10-20, and using any leftover cash to buy a more reasonably priced zoom, maybe not even a superzoom.

Better that than spend the majority of my cash on a Nikon 18-200 VR, I'm sure I'll get much more enjoyment this way around.

So sigma 10-20 + budget walkabout here I come!

The HSM motor is equivalent to the built in AF motor of the Nikkor D Series AFS lens. Without it you must use manual focus on cameras such as the Nikon 40, 40DX.

I'm stump as to why you sold a D70 to 'upgrade' to a D80. Eve a D200 wasn't enough of a step up to persuade me to uprage from my D70s and only the D300 has managed to prize the cash out of my hands.

Anyway, that's moot as you've sold your D70 but I would have spent the money on better glass for the D70 than a D80. Also, trouble is it's not clear what you're looking for. Is it a faster prime, a walk about lens or a portrait lens? And the key question, what's your budget?

Without knowing any of the above I would say look at the Sigma 10-20mm plus the 50-150mm f/2.8. By the way, if you're looking for a fast prime, I've a Nikon fit Sigma 20mm f/1.8 which I'm looking to sell. See the link in my sig.

Hi there - I sold my D70 because I managed to get a very reasonable price for it. It's only costing me £50 to 'upgrade' to a D80, so it was too good to miss. Plus I've printed a few of my photos up to poster size prints, so the extra megapixels will come in handy.

My lens budget is about £400. I've thought long and hard about it and what I'd like is:

-A decent macro lens (which I've got)
-A decent fast prime (around the 20-30mm mark, for portraits)
-A wide angle lens (the sigma 10-20mm looks ideal)
-A semi-decent walkabout lens (all options considered)

I think with my budget I'd like to prioritse the sigma 10-20, because that'll be much more fun. And I'll have to decide whether to just go for the Nikon 18-70mm again, or wait a few months and get the Sigma 18-200mm OS.

Hi,

Would suggest waiting and getting the Sigma 18-200mm with OS.

I've had two Nikon 18-200mm VR lenses the first produced very soft images and the second suffered from lens creep (in my case lens sprint:eek:)

I have the Sigma 10-20mm and 18-200mm OS and am very happy with both.

Brian

Back