New website

S

Steve

Some of you may know that I have been working on a personal website for quite a while now. Well, it is just about finished :)

I still have the store to complete but otherwise it is ready. I think I have ironed out most of the bugs and niggles and it displays perfectly in both Firefox (a proper browser that obeys standards) ;) and I.E. (a browser that makes its own :( ). If you view it in I.E. you will lose one of the nice display touches and the slideshow function of the gallery has image cache issues in IE (unless you are using IE7), but that’s IE’s fault alone. It does not stop anything else from working and all parts of the site and gallery should display correctly :) I am unable to test it using Safari as I don’t own or have access to a MAC however the site is fully compliant and coded to be valid XHTML 1.0 strict so it should be fine hopefully.

The Gallery is working and has been loaded with a few albums so far, it also contains some new work and some that has been re-processed recently as well as plenty you will have seen before. The existing gallery contents are subject to change and as I shoot more I will add those too. There is a comments system in operation for those that would like to leave a mark, depending on the abuse it receives I may have to remove that though, I will keep an eye on it and see what happens. It is likely that the few will spoil it for the many though :confused:

The slideshow is written in JavaScript, so that can only be used if you have java installed and enabled, if not then that is the only feature you should lose and obviously will not prevent you from viewing any of the pictures.

If you want a look it can be found here

Comments and feedback is very welcomed but please go easy on me, remember I am not a web designer ;)

Your slideshows work perfectly in Opera :)

oh and the site looks good too!

Steep said:
Your slideshows work perfectly in Opera :)

oh and the site looks good too!

Thank you sir, thats good to know :thumb:

Looks good Steve and I do love those seal shots.

Oh and that's with Safari btw so it all checks out for us Mac bods.

I found a few small niggles that you might want to know about. Firstly, with the slide shows the the second image is already being displayed before the picture window has finished loading. This could be more to do with my connection being sluggish this morning but anyone still on clockwork internet might miss the first few shots while waiting.

The other thing is tiny really, on your contact page the email address is not a link but needs a copy and paste into a mail window. Not exactly an issue but with all the things you've mastered to write that site it would be a fairly easy improvement.

Thanks dazzajl

The slideshow is causing me a few niggles to be honest but it was added as an extra. I used a script and adapted it to work (kind of) so I am a little restricted unless I write my own. As it doesn't stop anyone viewing the site I am not overly concerned though.

The email not being a link was deliberate, in case some people wish to use web based email clients to contact me. As you say it is easy to change the code though. I wonder what the general opinion on that is, should it be a link or is it more user friendly like I have it currently?

The email not being a link was deliberate

OK, I see where you're going with that.

I think given the choice of catering for web based mail or outlook/notes/mail type users, I'd go for the regular mail users. Most prospective buyers of your images are more likey to fall into this catagory and I'm guessing you want to make the path to your door as simple as possible for people with money to spend. Plus web mail users are going to be used to copying the address over anyway.

Just my 2p's worth. :)

Absolutely fantastic, makes me very depressed ;)

dazzajl said:
OK, I see where you're going with that.

I think given the choice of catering for web based mail or outlook/notes/mail type users, I'd go for the regular mail users. Most prospective buyers of your images are more likey to fall into this catagory and I'm guessing you want to make the path to your door as simple as possible for people with money to spend. Plus web mail users are going to be used to copying the address over anyway.

Just my 2p's worth. :)

I can't argue with your reasoning, link changed :thumb:

dod said:
Absolutely fantastic, makes me very depressed ;)

Thanks dod, don't be disheartened though, you should have seen my earlier attempts :confused:

very nice site steve. clean and effective.

oh and great pics too ;)

Lovely site Steve :thumb:
Simple, well laid out, easy to navigate.
And the photos are top notch too...excellent :clap:
Rich

it is indeed a thing of beauty!

Good site. Nice and easy to navigate, loads quickly and no apparent bugs.

My only criticism would be the volume of stuff on there. I've been looking at a lot of photogs galleries recently in my effort to purloin some ideas and one thing I've noticed is that they tend to have only about 30 or so images on them. I don't know if this due to licensing issues, image theft or just that they are careful about what they release into the public domain. I think too much material can be a bit overpowering sometimes. I'm in no position to criticise mind you, my site is well overloaded at the moment. Hence my desire to get it re-coded/designed and slimmed down. Alas though, my graphic design skills are not up to the task. It's just personal preference ultimately i guess.

I'm thinking I might have to try and find a web-designer who works on a barter system............

Wow, it's all good there Steve. Site looks great and the gallery is just simply breathtaking. I particularly enjoyed the landscapes and the flower shots, but those Orangutan shots just amazed me! :thumb:

Jewel

just a warning to anyone who hasn't checked the site yet I wouldn't unless you fall into one of these categories
1) you are great photographer and have loads of great pics of your own. (there are a few of you about on this forum)
2) You've already looked at some of steves work and have already come to terms with how rubbish yours look in comparison. (This is where I am)
3) You like to look at great photos no matter who took them.

Given that you're only going to be showing what you consider to be your best there's alot there I hate to think how many "hmmm thats not quite right" 's you've got on your hard drive

All in all steve nice clean site with some lovely shots for people to buy.

Any chance of a forum discount ;) :whistle2:

Stunning site pal, very nice, i personally wouldnt have my equipment listed though, im not sure that makes a difference to anyone looking at your work.

Excellent - looks very slick, and also works impressively fast compared to most other sites.

:thumb:

Back