Critique New York City - B&W

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
A few black and white images from New York. The first four were taken on our second day there when we walked from Central Park to Brooklyn (my tracker tells me we walked a little over 15 miles that day!) and the next two were the next morning on our way to, and at, Top of the Rock at the Rockefeller Center.

Bronica ETRS ----- 75mm f/2.8 EII ----- Ilford FP4+ ----- HC 110 (B) for 08:30 ----- V550

Manhattan Bridge
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

Manhattan Bridge
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

Brooklyn
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

NYC
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

57 Street
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

Top of the Rock
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cracking set of images, Carl. You're doing something right :)

If I had to choose, I'd go for 57th St and Brooklyn. I'm getting more into detail shots recently.

Good stuff Carl. I like "NYC", but probably my favourite is "brooklyn"...

Manhattan Bridge and 57 Street for me. The former because I like the way you've positioned the bridge and it's leading from a top corner, contrary to what you see in so many photos and the latter because it's a classic shot seen in so many movies based in the city and you've controlled the depth-of-field brilliantly.

Great set (y)

I'd like to see some shots of South Hampton. It's been years since I last spent a summer there.

Cracking set of images, Carl. You're doing something right :)

If I had to choose, I'd go for 57th St and Brooklyn. I'm getting more into detail shots recently.

Thanks Ken, those are my two favourite as well. I quite like detail shots on holiday as I think it's all the little close up parts of locations that you remember more

Good stuff Carl. I like "NYC", but probably my favourite is "brooklyn"...

Thanks Chris!

Manhattan Bridge and 57 Street for me. The former because I like the way you've positioned the bridge and it's leading from a top corner, contrary to what you see in so many photos and the latter because it's a classic shot seen in so many movies based in the city and you've controlled the depth-of-field brilliantly.

Great set (y)

Cheers Dean, I've seen so many similar photos of the subway sign and I know it's not original, but it's one that I wanted to take since we started planning the trip :)

I'd like to see some shots of South Hampton. It's been years since I last spent a summer there.

I had to Google where that was as I thought you meant the city in the UK! :oops: :$ We didn't really venture outside of Manhattan much as we only had 5 days, we just went over Brooklyn Bridge once and then took the subway to Coney Island for a few hours which was ace!

Thanks Ken, those are my two favourite as well. I quite like detail shots on holiday as I think it's all the little close up parts of locations that you remember more

Thanks Chris!

Cheers Dean, I've seen so many similar photos of the subway sign and I know it's not original, but it's one that I wanted to take since we started planning the trip :)

I had to Google where that was as I thought you meant the city in the UK! :oops: :$ We didn't really venture outside of Manhattan much as we only had 5 days, we just went over Brooklyn Bridge once and then took the subway to Coney Island for a few hours which was ace!

Don't feel badly, my sister, when we were growing up, thought that Liverpool was a lake in Washington DC. yeah...

A great set of photos there. My favourites are Brooklyn and NYC, Brooklyn for the use of depth of field to make the object "pop" from the image. I also like NYC because of the combination of old and new architecture within the same picture. Nice work!

Back