New York

Edit My Images
No
Hi just after a bit of advice I'm off to New York the end of March I want to take my tripod but I've been told that in certain places you need a permit
Empire State
Grand central station etc I was wondering if anyone had applied for said permits are they easy to get
And what sort of things should I say as to not drop myself in it
Also is it worth ringing the airline delta if I can take the tripod as hand luggage

You can't use tripods on the Empire State/Rock. Not sure about Grand Central Terminal.
Tripods can be taken as hand luggage as long as it doesn't put your bag over size/weight limits.

Hi just after a bit of advice I'm off to New York the end of March I want to take my tripod but I've been told that in certain places you need a permit
Empire State
Grand central station etc I was wondering if anyone had applied for said permits are they easy to get
And what sort of things should I say as to not drop myself in it
Also is it worth ringing the airline delta if I can take the tripod as hand luggage

You could buy one at B+H while you are there? Worth a visit even if you don't want to buy anything

TBH unless you NEED a tripod for what you want to photograph, I'd use a monopod or go handheld. NYC is a very very busy place, not just the tourist attractions, but everywhere. I'm glad i didn't bother taking mine as realistically I would never have had the time/space to set the thing up and it would have just been one more thing to carry around.

You could buy one at B+H while you are there? Worth a visit even if you don't want to buy anything

TBH unless you NEED a tripod for what you want to photograph, I'd use a monopod or go handheld. NYC is a very very busy place, not just the tourist attractions, but everywhere. I'm glad i didn't bother taking mine as realistically I would never have had the time/space to set the thing up and it would have just been one more thing to carry around.

I second this. I only took mine out once, to photograph the skyline from DUMBO at night.

We were in Ny last October and would agree with all said above - you will be better without a tripod - the place is so busy, partic the tourist spots ( full of people with iphones on sticks :mad:)

Having said that, I managed to get a lot of shots that I liked just hand held.
Good places - Liberty Island ferry but particularly Ellis Island (can do a three leg trip for the cost - a good morning trip) which has a lot of interest re immigrants rather than just the Statue of Liberty. Even the Bob Hope room showing the docs of him entering the country.
9/11 museum and monument - excellent both
Grand Central as above.
High line walk http://www.timeout.com/newyork/parks/highline
Manhattan and Brooklyn bridges
If you want a good skyline shot, the Rockefeller centre was recommended to us because the viewing platform is large, it has glass surrounds but spaces between the panes where your lens can go (y) - and you get the Empire state in the shot

The other advice that we were given was just go for everything - sleep when you get home :)

Glad I found this thread, am off to New York start of April only for four nights but looking forwards to it.

I used a joby gorilla pod when I was there in December 2014. I used it at the Top of the Rock and the security was okay with it.

Back