Newbie buying 400d off Ebay

Shahpor :welcome: to the forum.

The 400D your watching on eBay seems a very competitive price, & I'm sure the guys on here will let you know if your making a bad call.

Thanks for the welcome halesowenkid.

I know what you mean about the price. It is almost a 'so what's the catch?' situation.

Anyway, like you say, I am sure the guys on here will let me know.

Cheers.

Welcome Shahpor :)

Looks like a good price and a great camera, don't forget you will need a memory card to get going. Something like a 2gb Sandisk Ultra for around 15 beans.

Shame you bought this a little late. The Canon cashback offer just ended - would have given up something like 50 quid back. But yes good price!

You should note that Paypal is not listed as a payment option on the 400D. Not sure if that will affect your chances of getting your money back in case of dispute.

As quoted in advert

"Price And Payment Info

£365 incl postage by Royal mail Special Delivery.

Cheque or bank transfer are the preferred methods of payment but Paypal is acceptable if needs be, Cash on collection is also possible"

How this helps....;)

the_stiffmeister

Whoops sorry I am now :thinking: your referring to the 400D...:eek:

Yes I was, I should have said that really! I'll edit the above post to reflect that.

Thanks WanderingMind.

Yeah, already thinking CF cards :)

Was thinking of something like this:

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=132281

Just one thing. Is the 133x really much faster?

Not sure how much faster they would be with the 400d.
I have a few normal 1gb Sandisk cards and one of these for transfering to pc:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/memory/SanDisk/Extreme/2.0/USB/Reader

It only takes a few minutes to transfer whole card of raw files.

Only thing with using big memory cards is if they break you will lose all your photo's in one go, if you have a couple of smaller ones out on a days shooting/holiday/trip at least you won't lose the lot.

You should get around 100 photo's on a 1gb card in raw mode, more if you use jpg.

Wow, great response, cheers.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the 30D, but to be honest, I would prefer new. Also, being a complete novice I doubt I would benefit from the extra capabilities of the 30D over the 400.

Yeah, I noticed that the seller didn't accept paypal, which I thought was a bit odd. His feedback rating did give me some confidence though. Also, surely any issues that occur can be covered by warranty? As for any packaging or specification issues, well I was planning to go and collect it since it is only round the corner from me. Hopefully that would give me a good chance to have a look at it before handing over any cash.

Regarding the memory card, I think you are right WanderingMind. I have just seen the thread on here for the 2Gb Sandisk cards at £13.99 from Play.com, so I might just grab two of those instead.

Thanks to everyone for the info so far :)

Canon are expected to launch the new EOS 450D on or about the 24 Jan 08. I would expect to see the price in the range of about £500+ and expect the price of a new 400D to be reduced. It might pay you to wait just a little bit more to see what happens. At least then you could buy from your local retailer should you need to return for any reason.

Gazbag, I have read that Canon are launching the 450D soon, but I would still expect it to take a few months for the price of the 400D to be affected. Not that patient I am afraid :)

Photostar 1, according to the advert, that price is including the lens. That is why I thought it was such a good price. From the ad:

"Brand New Canon EOS 400D (Black) + EFS 18-55mm Lens ( Boxed )"

Well, I did decide to go for it in the end and here it is:

IMG_0902.jpg

I have taken a few shots and everything seems ok.

It is even better than I imagined :)

Now all I have to do is learn how to use it.

I might be heading down the same route, let us know how it is :)

That seems like a very good price for your 400D and its a great camera. Even if Canon brings out a 450D it won't make your new camera redundant overnight. Enjoy it!

Thanks madferrit.

I was thinking the same thing. Awesome camera, no matter what happens next.

Well, been playing a little more and as before, everything seems ok.

Also, discovered that the reason the ebayer doesn't use paypal is because he uses Google Checkout. Maybe not as good as Paypal, but reasonable enough. Upon payment, it was here the next day as promised.

Have registered it with Canon, so it seems kosher.

Now all I have to do is wait for my CF card since Play.com managed to screw that up :( It is on its way now though. In the meantime it is back to computer every 26 shots for a download :)

Anyway, time to head out and see if I can get a few snaps. :)

Even if Canon brings out a 450D it won't make your new camera redundant overnight. Enjoy it!

fortunately cameras don't take worse pictures with age a bit like stereos that don't sound worse. There maybe new kit with more functions but a camera is never redundant as it still takes pictures as well as it did on day one.

fortunately cameras don't take worse pictures with age a bit like stereos that don't sound worse. There maybe new kit with more functions but a camera is never redundant as it still takes pictures as well as it did on day one.

Exactly right.

And for me, this being my first SLR camera, the 400d should do nicely. The only thing I can myself needing reasonably shortly would be a different lens or two.

Back