Newbie here... with her self portrait

Betty

BrideZilla!!!
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Nice to be here! I havent been into photography for very long, but its something I think I could really get into. I love taking photos of people, posed and candid, and Ive practised on myself for the most part :)

I took this photo some time ago, but thought it would be a good starting point. I dont have models, or a studio, or good lighting ay my disposal, so I do the best I can in my bedroom with my Fuji Finepix ;)

DSCF1290.jpg

No processing done at all, thats something I need to learn yet. C+C welcome :)

Hello Betty. :wave:

Commendably good shot - it's not easy doing self portraits.

You need to get back from the camera a bit, as shooting that close tends to distort the face as it has here. I have this vision of you smiling and reaching for the shutter button. :D

Get yourself comfortable at the right distance and pre-focus using Manual focus, then use the delayed timer to release the shutter.

Your shot looks a bit soft and will stand sharpening, but as you say, you haven't processed it. Good effort and good first post. (y)

Thanks CT, I think it actually looks better smaller ;)

I did actually set the timer, and I cant remember what I was thinking of to smile like that ;) Once I get an office up and running, I can start processing my shots :)

Completely agree with CT, very good effort, especially for a 1st post (y)
Table lamps make excellent lighting sources as long as you control the exposure & white balance correctly - heat resistant theatre gels may be an idea to extend your options until you're sorted with your lighting.
Looking forward to the next ones (y)

Thanks moomike! I have some others but they might be best suited to the glamour section, although they are mostly of my back, but no real nudity.

Ill have a wander in there later to see if they will fit the criteria :)

Hi Betty,

That really is a very good first post. Shows confidence and enthusiasm - and I like that! So tell us, are you considering purchasing another camera or do you intend sticking with the Fuji for the time being...?

For the time being musicman, (you all have some awesome names btw ;)) I am going to stick with it. Its the S6500fd which cost me the best part of £200, and to me, that is a lot of money when saving for a house, so I fully intend on taking this seriously :)

I think I am a very confident person, I am never one to shy away from the camera, infact I am the one jumping in front of them most of the time :D

And thanks for your comments, its just making me more determined :)

Back