Beginner Newbie macro advice, critique, comments welcome

Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of weekends ago decided to try a bit of macro photography. Basic kit, old manual lens with cheap extension tubes, wireless flashes etc. I've had the bug since and the kids have become pro bug hunters! I have now made a mini studio and yesterday rigged up an outdoor hand held rig from old brackets, ball heads etc. heres some shots from the past couple of days with a borrowed nikon 105mm.... advice welcome...

1:
DSC_0254.jpg

2:
Fly stack 1.jpg

3:
DSC_0185.jpg

4: today with mobile rig outdoors and nikon 105mm @f16
DSC_0360.jpg

5: day 2 shot with cheap extension tube and nikon 35-70mm @ f11 stacked
Spider1.jpg

Thanks Nige, its pretty addictive. loads of good info on here, youtube etc. Kids love it too. looking at all the details, finding bugs etc. need to find a way of identifying them lol

They're ugly looking things! Any chance of some pretty bugs? :D

If you truly are a beginner which is something I'm doubting but it's no matter and nothing to get worked up about.

These are excellent for the 1st or the 100th go.

#4 is my favourite and has been excellently edited.

Focus is slightly off on #1 but your lighting looks well controlled.

So bring us more. :)

Thanks Bryn. Really appreciate that! Just been out in the garden spotting more bugs just been editing them so will upload some now.

been experimenting with lighting setup inspired by shot 4. Not sure an improvement (and pretty crude edits) but have an idea of what i want. finding it quite hard to get the contrast between subject and background with lighting alone.
DSC_0370.jpg DSC_0431.jpg

Last edited:
Not keen on either of those two can see what your trying to do and it is harder than it looks but the focus seems off on both.

Keep trying (y)

Yeah i know was it was more experimenting/an example of lighting. by no means a finished product. Did a couple yesterday but still to get the lighting as i want. Advice welcome.DSC_0465.jpgDSC_0580.jpg

You certainly got a good eye for mono... and the type I like....

#2 on this new set is superb and lit perfectly ... would clone out the vertical leaf in the background.

#1 again great conversion just to much neg space and fly positioning and POV not great.

Hope you dont mind will take down if you do

upload_2016-5-13_21-26-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-13_21-25-38.png
    upload_2016-5-13_21-25-38.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 4
No no. thats fine. all good advice. although i'm pretty sure it's a leg and tail, it was a woodlouse i think. was tucked in between the leaves on a flowering sage plant... took these shots on the outside of the plant, framing with clear backgrounds (not near enough for the flashes to have any effect. (3-4m).

Back