Newbie question re: flash

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone. Recently (ish) got a Nikon D80 and when I use the flash, upon pressing the shutter release button, it takes a couple of seconds before anything happens. Why does this happen? (Please dont say it's coz I've got a duff camera)

The camera is set to auto focus, on aperture priority, but also happens on manual.

Will this problem be resolved by me using a flashgun?

Hi everyone. Recently (ish) got a Nikon D80 and when I use the flash, upon pressing the shutter release button, it takes a couple of seconds before anything happens. Why does this happen? (Please dont say it's coz I've got a duff camera)

The camera is set to auto focus, on aperture priority, but also happens on manual.

Will this problem be resolved by me using a flashgun?

So when you press the button it takes several seconds THEN the flash flashes? Which flash is it? Have you tried a full factory reset on the camera AND flash?

Is it doing a red eye reducing pre-flash?

No, havent tried to reset the camera. I push the shutter button halfway so it focuses, then press it all the way down. But on pressing it fully, there is a weak light that seems to come on, then about 2 secs later, it flashes. and the shutter opens at the same time as the (big) flash.

There arent any red eye reduction pre flashes.

No, havent tried to reset the camera. I push the shutter button halfway so it focuses, then press it all the way down. But on pressing it fully, there is a weak light that seems to come on, then about 2 secs later, it flashes. and the shutter opens at the same time as the (big) flash.

The weak light is the AF assist light.

Would have to see the actual settings to know exactly what the problem is!

What is the "sync" set to? Front, rear curtain, slow.......... This will affect when the flash goes. Could it be this?

The weak light you see is coming from the multi purpose lamp which is used for AF assist, Red Eye Reduction and Self Timer. I don't know what mode you're in but from what you describe, if you disable the Red Eye Reduction facility the problem should go away.

You might also want to check that the shutter delay is not set to on, I will check under the menu later and tell you where it is, I had a silmilar thing so sounds like it may be this.

Thanks everyone for all the advice so far. Unfortunately, problem still remains unsolved- think i'm too much of an idiot!

I've turned off AF assist, and self timer. But cannot find a way of turning off red eye reduction. The red eye option just brings up my photos in the SD card (presumably for editing, as it is under the re-rouch folder).

Tried looking for where to change the sync, but cannot even find that option.

help!!

Turn on the camera and press the flash button on the lefthand side next to the pop-up flash and rotate the rear thumbwheel on the righthand side of the camera at the same time. You will see the flash mode change on the top lcd display as you do this. Redeye reduction mode is symbolised by the little eye and lightning bolt, if you change it until it just shows the lightning bolt that should be it sorted :)

Thanks everyone for all the advice so far. Unfortunately, problem still remains unsolved- think i'm too much of an idiot!

I've turned off AF assist, and self timer. But cannot find a way of turning off red eye reduction. The red eye option just brings up my photos in the SD card (presumably for editing, as it is under the re-rouch folder).

Tried looking for where to change the sync, but cannot even find that option.

help!!

Pages 41,42 and 43 of your manual give flash setting info........ Also check page 90 and subsequent for custom settings. Maybe even page 99 for exposure delay mode!

http://argiope.bti.cornell.edu/manuals/Nikon_D80_Cameral_manual.pdf

It's hard to advise at long range but I hope this helps...

David.

WHOOPPIE!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks guys!!! problem solved!!!
Did the press flash button whilst rotating the rear wheel. turns out my camera was set to red eye on, and slow sync!!!

Thanks again for the help!!!

Debs

Back