Newbie signing in - some questions if I may?

• Thread starter Deleted member 17239
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 17239

Hello everyone,

First off - introduction. My name is Steve, I am from Essex and I have just recently purchased a Nikon D60 VR kit courtasy of the Currys price mixup as found by Bodman and pointed out to me by my good friend Mangelwurzel (+1 internets for you both :)).

I am a total newbie when it comes to photography and bow down to your superior knowledge and humbly ask for some assistance in helping me decide what additional kit to purchase and any recommended reading to help me on my way.

Items on my list to get me started:
  1. Additional Lens (55/70-200mm?)
  2. Lens Filter (52mm?)
  3. Camera Bag (not too big, ideally enough for an additional lens and cables/cards)

Ideally I need to keep the cost down to a minimum as I only see this as a hobby and I don't ever see myself taking this up professionaly, but at the same time I dont mind spending a little extra if the quality difference is there.

The Lens I was looking at was either of the three below (the selection is not really based on anything other then the range seems better then what the kit lens is):

Filters I am totally lost, I gather from various posts it is a 52mm filter I need, and most have recommended a Nikon 52mm NC (Neutral Colour) filter, but wasnt sure if that was for one purpose or multi purpose? Is there much point in spending lots on a filter if I only have cheapish lenses? Are there any from 7dayshop you would recommend?

Bag wise I quite like this one but could anyone identify the model?

As mentioned I am a total novice and I would be much happier with a full understanding on what the different options on the camera does, how to set it up correctly, etc and therefore a good book/video is probably the way forward.

Thank you again for any assistance you can offer. I hope to learn a great deal from you all.

Lickeh

Don't know what subjects will interest you most.
However, assuming you have the 18 - 55 kit lens I suggest you go for the 70 - 300 to give you the largest coverage.

Filters are certainly not mandatory, but later you may consider a polariser to saturate colours and control reflections.

You can buy filters for your largest lens and use a cheap stepping ring to let it fit on your smaller lens (saves buying 2 filters).

Cannot answer your bag question. I tend to use a rucksack and/or a travel waistcoat with suitable pockets.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Look into Hoya filters. I use their 'budget' green filters on my L lenses and cannot notice a difference when removed.

Get a UV filter for protecting the lens and a CPL filter for creating bluer skies.

That'll set you on your way. :)

Kerso (on here) does them for a very good price.

I like Lowepro bags.

In terms of lens, go with a lens that goes up to 300, i used to have the 55-200 and could have done with extra, hence me getting a 70-300 vr lens!

Oh yes, Lowepro bags for most 'togs in all honesty.

I've got the Sigma 70-300mm and for the money its pretty good.

Blackbird4.jpg

This was handheld at 300mm yesterday when it was dull and overcast. I'm sure that if you spend more you'll get better results but its best to learn to walk first.

Cheers

Andy

@Andysnap

Great shot, is this the lens you are referring too?
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro

I was looking on some review sites and they mentioned it was quite noisy, heavy and looks a bit silly when fully extended (as in the picture below) Do you find that or is that unfair?

2629940945_541f724c23.jpg

The other thing that I am not sure about is the VR aspect. Is it only Nikkor VR lenses that will utilise this or would the Sigma lenses also have this?

Thank you to everyone that has replied so far, please keep the suggestions coming in :).

The other thing that I am not sure about is the VR aspect. Is it only Nikkor VR lenses that will utilise this or would the Sigma lenses also have this?

Hello Steve :wave:
The Sigma equivalent of VR is OS (optical stabalizer).

@Mangelwurzel

Hi mate :wave:

Just looking on the Sigma website and the cheapest one with OS seems to be around the £300 mark and the Nikkor equivalent lens is £450 :crying:

Anyone know any banks that have careless/absent minded security staff??

Thats the fella, it is a bit big but looks ok on my D90 (I don't very often use the hood) and I carried it around my neck for about 4 miles (up hill and indeed down dale) yesterday without too much trouble. I don't particularly miss VR (I had the Nikon 55-200mm vr) as I usually have a light tripod with me or find a suitable rock or fence to steady myself and I'm old and out of condition, your only a young fella, you'll be ok (y)

Andy

Is it a reasonable size when it is fully compressed? Just wondering about bag sizes and whether a standard smallish bag would be able to house it?

Do you mind if I ask what filters and tripod you use?

Hi mate, sorry for the delay in responding. I use a cheap Hama tripod (about £25 I think) but apart from very windy days its ok, nice and light. I use Cokin ND grad filters (light, medium & dark - P 121L / P 121M / P 121S) and Cokin filter ring and holder.
Below are some pics of the lens on a D70 with a standard size paperback book for reference.

lens-_-book.jpg

lens-_-bag.jpg

As you can see it doesn't take up a lot of room. Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Andy

Back