Newbie wanting to progress to SLR

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello !

Right, after recently purchasing a fuji S1000fd to get into the hobby, i have come across £190 in argos vouchers, which i might aswel put towards an slr, which i was planning on doing soon anyway.

Im looking at the D60 with 18-55 Lens. clicky

Is this a good stepping stone ?

I am new to photography, but i want something that i can progress with and not feel the need to upgrade for sometime.

Would this package be ok ?

Any help would be appreciated

thanks ;)

Good choice. I have the D40 and it is a fantastic camera to learn on. The only thing I would suggest is to try and have a hold of it first to see if it feels ok. I was dead set on a Canon but it did not quite feel right. As soonas I picked up a Nikon it just felt right.

Don't also forget the Sony and Pentax ranges. Remember also that it is a system that you are buying into and the extras soon add up :bang::bang:.

Have fun

Nick

right... ive also seen the A200 now.

The main thing that puzzling me is the lack of auto focus in the D60.

Is it a bad thing ? Do the lenses with af cost alot more ?

Im totally confused about which to go for now. I cant really try them out as ive come into contact with some argos vouchers...

right... ive also seen the A200 now.

Is it a bad thing ? Do the lenses with af cost alot more ?

Im totally confused about which to go for now. I cant really try them out as ive come into contact with some argos vouchers...

hi mate,why not go to someone like currys and ask them to let you handle a couple of cameras...they should let you do this if they think they will get a sale...pick what you feel is right for you.tell them you are going to think about it..just pop along to argos and get the one you have chosen.

I bought the Sony A200 as like yourself I decided on venturing into DSLR, I can tell you I am absolutely delighted with the Camera, as for Lenses Minolta lens fit the A200 and are reasonably cheap, I purchased a 55mm-200mm Tamron lens which is practically new and had everything with it including the Guarantee for £50, again like the camera i am delighted with the lens. The selling point for me over the Canon and the Nikon was the anti shake built in to the camera and the AF with the minolta lens, I also read that Nikon use Sony sensors in thier Cameras, so if their good enough for Nikon their good enough for me lol I have a few pics on here if you want to have a look bare in mind though I am new to this lol but I think they look superb. I wouldn't put you off any of the other cameras as they are all superb value and quality, as others have stated go try them out, get a feel for the camera, I loved the Sony when I had it in my hand but wasn't keen on the Nikon again thats just a personal opinion. Good luck with whatever you purchase as I'm sure you'll enjoy owning a DSLR.

There's no real reason to buy a D60 over the D40 in my eyes, and the latter can be had (with lens) for very very reasonable prices online, and cheaper if you are happy to go second hand.

They are both wonderful cameras, but for bargain of the century status, the D40 has it.

Cheers,
James

yep i think im going for the a200 after reading many reviews of all the cameras in the price range.

i am not looking to go professional, just something to learn and enjoy.

thanks for your help!

good choice, btw try to buy body only and buy the lenses off ebay because retailers like jessops charge £100 for the 18-70mm kit lens where as on ebay you can get it for £50 same with the 55-200mm kit lens.

unfortunatly ive got £190 in argos vouchers so ill have to get the 18-70mm kit, as they dont do it individually.

Sorry if this is a rather stupid question, ive been trying to research what makes one lens better than the next or different etc...

It is basically the amount of zoom and range of aperture settings?

Along with quality etc..

Thanks

the quality of the glass,number of elements, how well it functions at full zoom, min zoom. build quality, waterproof, max apperture. the list is endless and not all cheap lenses are bad, and similarily not all expensive lenses are good. best get the camera and then see where your limited and ask for recommendations on here(y)

the quality of the glass,number of elements, how well it functions at full zoom, min zoom. build quality, waterproof, max apperture. the list is endless and not all cheap lenses are bad, and similarily not all expensive lenses are good. best get the camera and then see where your limited and ask for recommendations on here(y)

Thanks for that :)

This forum has been nothing but endless information and help!

I think ill worry about a new lens once ive managed to get my head around all the settings.

well i might be looking to you for some help and advice if your leaning how to use the camera aswel ! We'll see how it goes.

it can be confusing with all the different settings as i have found upgrading from a fairly basic camera to a dslr and being dissapointed with some of the early results, as a better camera dosen't mean better pictures.
p+s cameras tend to do more agressive in-camera processing which makes the images appear better straight out of the camera.
DSLRs tend to do far less in-camera & allow users to play around more in post-processing.
Ultimately DSLRs are capable of far better shots but you have to learn how to exploit those inherent abilities.

The D60 does autofocus !! the motor is in the lens as opposed to the camera body

I've had a D60 since xmas and its a brilliant camera :)

awesome thanks!

Yea i wanted the VR lens if i was to go nikon so it would have been alot more expensive than buying the a200. I wouldnt have limited myself to argos unless i didnt have the vouchers.

Cant wait to get hold of it now, just waiting for them to come through.

Back