Review Newfeel Backenger bag

Stephen L

I asked a Stupid Question Once...
Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
No
I recently saw an ad for the newfeel Backenger bag and thought it was worth a punt, so ordered one. This is their website. https://www.newfeel.co.uk/messenger-bags-and-shoulder-strap-bags-idfam1809

It arrived yesterday, and I've had a little fiddle with the Backenger 20L bag. For the money (£29) it's quite well-made. Nylon, with plastic fittings, main compartments zipped, some velcro patches to hold down flaps, and quite a long shoulder strap with pad. The strap actually does what it says. You wear it on one shoulder normally (though I would probably sling it bandolier=style). When you want to put the back on your back, assuming it's sitting on your right shoulder, you simply feel round your back with your left hand towards the bottom of the bag and grab the webbing of the strap. And pull it over your left shoulder. It sits there quite well. Although I wouldn't like to do a long hike with it as there are no waist or chest straps. But it's good enough to balance a load for a short stroll.

Inside there's the main compartment, a laptop compartment, and several pockets for odds and ends. Outside also some pockets, including a bottle carrier. Obviously it's not designed as a camera bag, and needs a padded insert for security.

For the purposes of the test I used the insert from my Billingham Hadley, which fitted nicely inside with a little room to spare. The insert carried my X-T2 with 18-55 attached, a 10-24, and a 90mm lens. I fitted my Macbook Air (13") in the laptop compartment, and, because we've recently moved house and I couldn't find my water bottles, a bottle of Theakston's Old Peculiar ale in the bottle carrier.

backenger-3.jpg by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

backenger-2.jpg by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

backenger-1.jpg by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

I've ordered one - from Decathlon - as I've been looking for something like this. By coincidence I have a Billingham Hadley as well, but my plan for the Newfeel will be to use a Tenba BYOB 7 to carry my X-100s, alongside my work stuff.

Thanks for posting that, it good to see someone reviewing higher value gear ;) Love the application of beer

Back