Newly emerged dragonfly

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Took this shot yesterday, and I am not sure what it is, I thought it might be a Common Hawker Aeshna Juncea, but there is not as much brown on the body. Its a male as it had a clasp on its tail.

Unfortunately I couldn't wait and it was raining, but its colour was starting to show as blue on the tail.

Thanks

dragonfly-id.jpg

Last edited:
Took some more shots:
1) 12:14pm
drag-001.jpg

2) 12:18pm
drag-002.jpg

3) 12:19pm
drag-003.jpg

4) 12:25pm
drag-004.jpg

5) 12:46pm
drag-005.jpg

6) 12:51pm
drag-006.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I have seen damselflies do it but this is first time I have seen a dragonfly from the start :)

Absolutely brill. Well done on spotting it, and getting the photos.

What kind of time-scale from first to last shot? It must have been 'expanding' right before your eyes...

Absolutely brill. Well done on spotting it, and getting the photos.

What kind of time-scale from first to last shot? It must have been 'expanding' right before your eyes...

Thanks, I have just edited the post to include the times.

stunning

Blimey, thats an absolutely stunning series.

Andy

Very interesting, that is a great sequence and sharp too.

I always find the emergence of a dragonfly mesmerising - you have captured it well. Not something I see very often, but I did manage to video an emergence - see my Flickr account

Absolutely stunning, would love to get some dragonfly shots, but so far I've only seen 1 and that was inside my folks house. I go round a small glade with a pond every few days and have been looking for them for ages but just never see them. Amazing set, thanks for showing.

Thanks for feedback

Absolutely stunning, would love to get some dragonfly shots, but so far I've only seen 1 and that was inside my folks house. I go round a small glade with a pond every few days and have been looking for them for ages but just never see them. Amazing set, thanks for showing.

Round here (West Yorkshire) the last few years of poor weather I have seen very few compared to previous summers. I have walked round the ponds and hardly seen any where previous it was buzzing with Dragonflies and Damselflies.

What amazes me about the ones I just photographed is, in the space of 24hrs at least 8 had emerged and they got the weather spot on to do it, we have just had 10 days of dryish and warmish weather, when the previous 6 week before the 21st July had been cold and virtually rain every day.

Last edited:
Lovely sequence, I had a Southern Hawker emerge from the garden pond this year, but I missed the first part! It has also made me want to extend the pond!

That's a great series of shots, thanks for sharing. Well done for having the patience to record the whole sequence, definitely worth it.

Superb well done i,ve never seen this:)

Back