TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
From sigma press release

NEW PRODUCT INFORMATION

Sigma Announce Price of the New 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC

First deliveries of the eagerly anticipated Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC lens have arrived in the UK with a competitive suggested retail price of £329.99.

18-200mm.jpg

The 18-200mm will be available in Canon, Sigma, Nikon D and Pentax auto focus fitting. Delivery date of the Four Thirds fitting will be advised.

This high zoom ratio lens incorporates Two Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass elements and two hybrid aspherical lenses. This enables the lens to be housed in a compact and lightweight construction of 70mm diameter, and 78.1mm in length, and weighing just 405g. The lens also incorporates a zoom lock switch, internal focusing and a precision machine tooled metal back-mount

THE SPECIFICATIONS
Focal Length - :18-200mm
Minimum Aperture - :F22
Lens Construction - :15 Elements in 13 Groups
Angle of View - :69.3°- 7.1°
Number of Diaphragm Blades - :7pcs
Minimum Focusing Distance - :45cm (17.7”)
Maximum Magnification - 1:4.4
Filter Size - :62mm
Lens Hood - :petal Hood
Dimensions - :Diameter 70mm (2.8”) x Length 78.1mm (3.1”)
Weight - :405gr/14.3oz
SPR - :£329.99

 The appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.
 Vignetting will occur if the lens is used with digital cameras with image sensors larger than APS-C size or 35mm SLR cameras.

For further information, please contact:
Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd
13 Little Mundells
Welwyn Garden City
Herts
AL7 1EW
Tel: 01707 329 999
Email: sales@sigma-imaging-uk.com

That's expensive for a lens that isn't APO

... but cheap for a 10x zoom

Steep said:
That's expensive for a lens that isn't APO

I'd hope 'Super Low Dispersion' would be an equivilant of sorts... APO is bandied about a bit too much as it is, only Canon L glass is a true apocromat. Much of it is marketing.

Good news: There's a review of the Sigma 18-200 and the Tamron 18-200 here

Bad news: it's in Japanese! But you can figure out which is which... (The middle column of pics is the Tamron.)

Puzzle: The Tamron at 200mm appears to be slightly 'longer' than the Sigma at 200mm. Which is really 200mm?

I've recently bought the Tamron (£270 from DigitalFirst) and I'm happy with it as a general purpose lens. CA can be moderate in high contrast shots, especially towards the wide end, but isn't difficult to eradicate in post-processing.

Well it looks to me like the Sigma wins that one easily, much sharper in all of the examples!

Might have to look at one of these when i get a DSLR!

Gregeff said:
Well it looks to me like the Sigma wins that one easily, much sharper in all of the examples!

Might have to look at one of these when i get a DSLR!
Yes, probably, but I'm not sure what apertures they used, and TBH I don't have any complaints about the sharpness of the Tamron. What concerns me rather more is that, if the Tamron really does go to 200mm, the Sigma looks to be nearer 150mm.

Back