*news* Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG HSM

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
500mm F4.5 EX DG HSM
Fast maximum aperture telephoto lens optimized for digital SLR cameras.

 Most effective coating for minimizing flare and ghost.
 Two Extraordinary Low Dispersion (ELD) glass elements produce excellent image quality.
 Accepts both 1.4X and 2X APO EX Tele-Converters. The lens can be used as a 700mm MF or a 1000mm MF ultra-telephoto lens.

sigma500mm.jpg

Sigma Corporation is pleased to announce the launch of the new 500 F4.5 APO EX DG HSM lens.

This ultra-telephoto lens has a fast maximum aperture, and also features a new super multi-layer coating, which optimizes the characteristics of digital SLR cameras.

Two ELD glass elements in the front lens elements reduce chromatic aberration to a minimum and also ensure sharp, quality images of high contrast.

The overall length of the lens does not change during focusing, ensuring convenient handling and ease of use.

The AF drive for Sigma SA, Canon and Nikon S.L.R. cameras features Sigma’s ultra-quiet and high-speed Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM). It also features a drop-in 46mm filter holder in the rear part of the lens barrel, which can be rotated to facilitate the use of filters, including a polarizing filter.

By adding an APO teleconverter (optional extra), you can use this lens as a 700mm F6.3 MF ultra-telephoto lens with a 1.4X EX teleconverter, or as a 1000mm F9 MF ultra-telephoto lens with a 2X teleconverter.

THE SPECIFICATIONS
Focal Length :500mm
Minimum Aperture :F32
Lens Construction :12 Elements in 9 Groups
Angle of View :5°
Number of Diaphragm Blades :9pcs
Minimum Focusing Distance :400cm(157.4”)
Maximum Magnification :1:7.7
Filter Size :46mm (drop-in type)
Lens Hood :Bayonet Hood
Dimensions :Diameter 123mm (4.8”) x Length 350mm (13.7”)
Weight :3150gr/111.1oz
Fittings :confused:igma, Canon and Nikon-D
(Konica/Minolta and Pentax TBA)
SRP :£2999.99

 The appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.

For further information please contact:

Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd
13 Little Mundells
Welwyn Garden City
Herts
AL7 1EW

Website www.sigma-imaging-uk.com

bargain!

got 4 on order.

As the older 'non DG' version of this is my main weapon, be interesting to see if they squeeze any improvements out of it in terms of optical quality. Already zero flare and CA practically non-existant, and my D2x finds any lens problems in the CA department. The only visible difference i can see is the focus grip is a different pattern

HSM EX DG I wonder if the next version will add further acronyms to it's title ;)

Personally, I think these Sigma primes are the only sensible choice for a Nikon user at the moment (and for last 2 years)... £5k-£6k for a non I.S./VR lens is crazy, especially when 500mm and 600mm f4 VR AFSII has to be in the pipeline.

Back